+ Reply to Thread

Thread: lamson velocity 1.5 vc marryat CMR 5/6 ?

Default lamson velocity 1.5 vc marryat CMR 5/6 ?

I really like these two (yes, I realize they are fairly different design) but any opinions or first hand with these reels? I am hoping to match them on a loomis streamdance metolious 4wt.

cheers,
    P

Default Re: lamson velocity 1.5 vc marryat CMR 5/6 ?

Personally? MARRYAT hands down!
    I own a of CMR 5/6 and, a 3/4 and I really like everything about them, from esthetics to quality of manufacture. I don't OWN a Lampson Velocity, but my fishing bud of 30 years does and he's never been all that pleased with it. He's fished my Marryats and says he likes the Marryat drag a lot better.

"More accurate, smoother, easier to set", were his comments on my Marryats.

Just, my opinion!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

3. Default Re: lamson velocity 1.5 vc marryat CMR 5/6 ?

My V1.5 was defective out of the box.
    then problems with people at Waterworks "customer service"... finally (3 calls later) found a tech guy that explained how I could FIX THE REEL MYSELF (a $235 reel!!! what the heck?). Evidently it is/was NOT an uncommmon problem. I believe that if a company can't support their own brand new product, I can't/won't support them either.
    I use a nice used Hardy JLH for my 4 weights & a used Battenkill (C&P) for my 3 weights & a used Ross G-1 for my 5 weights... Ross, by the way, has the BEST customer service I have ever had to use!!!
    later,
    an Oregonian

I'll second the Ross Reels and their customer service and warranty is second to none! But that does not help you out, sorry.

I like my Lamsons, all four of them, very much. Never had a problem with one, so I can't speak to the customer service issue, but the fact that not one of the reels has ever let me down says something to me.

Never used the Marryats, so I can't compare.

I'll agree with the above comments about the Ross people as well.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I have a Lamson Velocity 1.5 and a Marryat CMR 3/4. I like them both very much and would recommend either one. If I had to choose, I would go with the Marryat. I was able to get it for less than half the cost of the Lamson.

I must say I own a couple of Lamson reels and like them very much. I had a problem with the clicker on my Lamson Radius 1.5. I sent Lamson an e-mail that was answered the same day. They told me to send my reel back to them for repair. I did so and within 5 days I had my reel back, repaired, good as new. I even received an e-mail a couple of days later to ask if I was satisfied with the repair on the Radius.

My Lamson warranty experience was first-rate. So good that I will look at a Lamson for my next reel purchase again.
    Mark 1:17

Never owned a Marryat. When they first came out they were made in Japan. So I never bought one. Lamson's are made in USA when I bought my 3.5 Litespeed. Use it in FL a lot. Lamson had some trouble with the original 1 way clutches and replaced them with stainless. Really smooth sealed drag - good in salt. Ask JC on a PM about Lamson. I think he invented them.

Godspeed

Bob Bolton

+ Reply to Thread