+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DT lines ending production?

Default Re: DT lines ending production?

Bamboosel i have been using Dt lines since i started to fly fish in the late 50's and always reverse them. Guess i am just trying to stretch my $ . I also have some wt forward lines but mostly on saltwater rods.
    Chuck

Bamboozle:

Like Chucke3 I have used DT's for many years. I always flip mine and then being the cheap charlie I am I use them long past their prime when fishing little creeks where casting is not much of a factor.

Tim

lastchaance,
    You mention phasing out double taper lines. Must be meaning dry lines, full sinking lines have been gone for quite a few years now.I fish full sinking double taper lines for roll casting I still have a few new lines in my stock Cortland 444 DT 9S try to find them now.When obstructions are on your back DT sinking lines were the ticket.
    Wes.

Our local fly shops don't carry many DT lines because customers don't want them. Must flyfishing around here is on saltwater or lakes. Nearby streams typically only a few feet wide and a WT performs just as well as a DT plus is more effective on the lakes. Even if we drive the Sierra, the same holds. Lakes and small streams. Most of the larger rivers are rocky freestone waters were long casts are not usually practical due to mid stream obstructions. With a preponderance of sillwater fishing where overhead casts of 60' or more are common, many of us have learned to roll cast distances of 45' or more with WF lines.

Do our local shops earn more sales by pushing WF lines. No. Most anglers don't fish enough to wear out a line except over a period of several years or more. If they sell them a WF line, they may come back for another 6 or 7 or 8 years later. Those that fish often, usually have several lines for different rods and situations so it still takes years to wear out a line. I have been flyfishing for 15 years and fish around 50-60 days a year (almost every weekend + a couple of week long trips per year). I have about 50 fly lines ( I always have at least one spare) that are fished on rods ranging from 3 to 12 wt. It is unusual for any non shooting head line to see more than 10 days on the water a year. I have worn out exactly 1 flyline during that 15 years (not counting cheap lines I acquired for casting practice on the lawn). That was a SA Ultra 3 WF5F that was the first line I purchased. I retired it from fishing 5 years ago because it no longer floated - it still gets used for practice casting. My experience is common with many of my fishing partners. I think I have only purchased 3 full length floating lines in the last 5-6 years, a couple of bass tapers and a 10wt tarpon taper. All of my floater in sizes less than 8wt date back to 1998 or earlier and are still going strong. This includes 2 DT lines that I determined offered no advantage over WF lines for the waters I fish.

As fly fishing as spread to more and more venues outside of the 'traditional' trout stream, I think that the demand for DT lines as a total percentage of sales has drastically declined.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    For the times when they might need to make a really long cast? I was on the shore of Yellowstone Lake, the fish were rising out at about 85 feet from shore. I was using a three weight rod. Happened to have a WF3F line on it. I caught several cutts on a dry fly. I don't think I could have reached them with a DT. And, you can get more backing on a reel when you use a WF line too.
    A 3w for Yellowstone Lake? What were you thinking?
    "If opera is entertainment, then falling off the roof is transportation".

Quote Originally Posted by RS1
    Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    For the times when they might need to make a really long cast? I was on the shore of Yellowstone Lake, the fish were rising out at about 85 feet from shore. I was using a three weight rod. Happened to have a WF3F line on it. I caught several cutts on a dry fly. I don't think I could have reached them with a DT. And, you can get more backing on a reel when you use a WF line too.
    A 3w for Yellowstone Lake? What were you thinking?
    My sentiments exactly!!
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle
    So, DO you experienced DT users flip 'em or just buy a new line.

I reverse all of mine. I can't think of anyone I know that doesn't! The rep's comments are just another pile of Kansas feedlot doodoo if you ask me.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

J. Castwell: I didn't see your post about the DT lines.
    Anyway, this guy has worked in flyshops for many years and I guess has spoken to factory reps. He's not an arrogant kind of guy--I think he must be repeating something he heard. I did notice that the catalogs don't offer many for sale. I hope he's wrong because DT's are all I use.

+ Reply to Thread