+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal 3 weight?

1. Default Re: Ideal 3 weight?

Wild One,

I see that you?re in Ohio. You seem to know your Utah streams pretty well for an out of stater. Are you from Utah originally?

I appreciate your input. I think this rod length issue is more of a mental block than anything else. I like the thought of a 7'6" rod; I just don't want to make it such a specialized rod that I miss out on using it on a wider range of streams. As I stated earlier, I have a 486 LL than it really like and would like to continue to use, so I?d like to fill a little different niche with this 3 weight.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ideal 3 weight?

Is there such a word as "Ideal" when discussing fly rods?
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Everyone's preferences are different so I'll give you mine. If conditions allow, I always opt for a longer rod. The extra length usually means easier long casts, bigger on water mends, bigger aerial mends and curves and line manipulation over complex currents.

Quote Originally Posted by TomTrout
    Hopper,

... IMHO No matter what material your rod is made of I would recommend you stay away from a really fast rod. The softer tip will protect the lighter tippets you'll be using with a 3wt...
    Tom
    My all time favorite trout rod is a Sage XP 9' 4 wt 4 piece- a very fast rod. You can cast the tiniest tricos to very large hoppers with great accuracy from up really close to over 80',not that you'd ever want to fish that far away. However, if the wind is blowing hard in your face, being able to cast far makes the 40' cast manageable. TomTrout is correct that a very soft rod tip has more shock absorbing effect than a stiff one. Don't forget though that the angler with a responsive and supple rod grip won't be breaking any more fine tippets than any one else. Whatever. This is just my $0.02. YMMV.

4. Default Re: Ideal 3 weight?

HD, yes I'm from that area. With those waters the shorter rod will be ideal. On larger streams/rivers that's where a 4w and above come in. Once you fish it you'll not even notice the length difference.

HD,
    I think a 3wt 7'6" SLT is an excellent rod to compliment that Sage 486LL. With that said, if you are fishing small brushy streams with overgrowth the 376 is the ticket. But if you are fishing small streams that are more wide open the 486LL would be better. For instance, I use my Sage 279LL or 379LL for small brushy streams out here in Southern California but if I'm fishing open meadows up in the Eastern Sierras I prefer my Sage 389VPS-light. Just my $0.02 worth. Good-luck!

6. Default Re: Ideal 3 weight?

Thanks for all the responses. This is a great forum. I can tell by the posts that the people in here are passionate. I enjoy fishing with and talking about fly rods that just feel right. Whether it's 9' 6 wt or a 7'6" 3 wt...if it feels perfect for the fishing conditions it gives you confidence and frees your mind to fish better. Keep the comments coming, I enjoy the opinions.

Blog Entries

No particular 3 wt would be the best rod for all situations, in my opinion. Each length, stiffness, and # of pieces, has its own pros and cons. There is no rule that says you can only have one 3 wt, and that one has to do everything for you.

Dennis

Do yourself a favor, go to a fly shop that carries Scott Fibertouch rods and cast the F 703/3, it is 7' long 3 pcs and is easily the best short 3 weight rod I have ever cast. It is the favorite rod I own and I have owned about 25 fly rods including the high end rods from all the major manufacturers.

HD,
    Grew up in American Fork and just moved here last fall. I learned to fly fish up AF canyon. You're definitely getting some great all-around responses here and most guys are right. There is no "ideal" 3 wt for all conditions, but I don't think that's what you're looking for. Where do you live and what river do you fish most often? Again, for any of the rivers I mentioned before, I'd choose the short rod. For a long time I actually fished with a 6' 6" rod on AF river, Hobble Creek and even occasionally on the extreme LP. For getting into those tight spots on most Northern UT rivers, I'd stick with a short rod.
    Leave No Trace

10. Default Re: Ideal 3 weight?

Wild One,

Thanks for the response. I'll probably be using this rod on all of the smaller rivers you mentioned sooner or later, but I fish the both Cottonwood Creeks quite a bit in the summer. I do like the idea of the shorter rod, especially since i have a 8'6" 4 weight.

It's great to read everyones opinions...I appreciate all the input.

+ Reply to Thread