+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Furled leaders

Default Re: Furled leaders

It's so ....what can I say ....commercial...

Last question from me (at least here ). Tippet material for these furled leaders....anyone have any favorites or non-favorites for that matter...both mono and flouro. Specifically, are there really any I should NOT use? i was leaning towards Orvis (mainly because of an acquaintance who works at a company store here on Long Island). Thanks again.

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Quote Originally Posted by ausable_ny
    Last question from me (at least here ). Tippet material for these furled leaders....anyone have any favorites or non-favorites for that matter...both mono and flouro. Specifically, are there really any I should NOT use? i was leaning towards Orvis (mainly because of an acquaintance who works at a company store here on Long Island). Thanks again.

Ken

For dry flies I use Froghair mono.

For subsurface I used Rio Fluoro.

I use Orvis Fluoro for my tippet material exclusively. I also fish furled leaders exclusively for almost 3 years now. I use a loop to loop connection (no rings) and have never had a problem.

Also, I don't shorb - I make a simple overhand knot and a drop of CA glue to secure the loop. I have one furled leader that has over 70 days of fishing with no sign of problems.

Mildew isn't an issue for me. I put my reel away and don't even think about it.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Blog Entries

Ducksterman , Thanks for the link that is a really good website. I had no trouble registering. The pic of the sorb loop instructions are top notch.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Ducksterman,
    Thanks for the link. I've signed up for the furled website. Very interesting.
    I live in the Roseburg area and have been making furled leaders since attending the FFF Conclave in Livingston, Mt. in July. It's kind of addictive. The man that demonstrated at the conclave has a little different way of making shorb loops than what I've seen here. I think it gets the same result. He goes between the strands with his nit picker and grabs the end loop (boy is that tough - I've tried inserting a dental floss threader in the loop before taking it off the paper clip with limited success) and pulls it through. Then he pushes the nit picker on through the loop and grabs the leader at the loop that was formed and pulls it back through. (boy is this hard to explain). I think both methods end up with the same end loop.
    SweetStreamS

Ps has Ronn Lucas quit posting??

SweatStreamS,

What you described is exactly the way I make the Shorb loops on my furled leaders and it is very hard to explain to someone! The last person that I described this method to I ended up making a drawing of each step and just sending it to them! Even though you end up with the same Shorb loop, I prefer this method over others. With a lot of practice you do get better, but, I still miss one strand every once in awhile with the knit picker! Furled leader making is addictive, but, so much fun!!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

SweetDreams;
    What Warren said. If you have trouble finding a KNIT picker let me know, I have several. The Shorb Loop is sort of a learning curve thing. after a few it will be second nature to you. Sort of like learning to whip finish a fly!

Jack

I had trouble with the Shorb Loop until I had Skip Shorb show me how. The drawing's didn't help me too much. But once skip showed me it was a pice of cake.

Knucks

Quote Originally Posted by drolfson
    If I remember correctly, Blue Sky is someone on here. They are being too modest to rat themselves out. If I could remember the user, I would do it for them, but alas, age is upon me.

Also, there is another member who has a DVD that has gotten rave reviews on how to furl leaders. Kathy Scott I think is the name of the person who produced it. (Someone correct me if I am wrong.) I need to find it also as I ned to get it too.

Don

AHA!! I found the review! http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/kathyscott.html

Blue Sky opened up a store in Boise Idaho that you can chat with the owner if you are in the neighborhood.

Blue Fly Cafe
    5230 Chinden Blvd.
    Boise, ID 83713

+ Reply to Thread