+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - Any Musicians Here?

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT - Any Musicians Here?

I play the harmonica, very poorly but the trout don't mind and the trees listen in silence, but the wind howls

Blues only and like I said poorly...
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

And in MY minds eye I put together an ensemble of all the instruments mentioned here. I suppose "interesting music" would be the password. Everyone in "tails" of course.

Mark
    PS: Congratulations on all the talent represented.

For me it's banjo, dobro, pedal steel, horns (trumpet, 'bone, tuba).
    We have picking parties regularly up here, and every couple years a join or start a band for a couple seasons. Even got a CD out a couple years ago. J Castwell has a copy and even liked it!
    Impressive how many musicians are on the site.
    DANBOB
    http://www.dogmountainband.com/

I know there are at least a few more who'll chime in.

Now I don't feel bad because I'm not the only one who DOESN'T consider myself a musician, but still plays. Played guitar for about 6-7 years now. As a full time worker, student, father and husband I only get to pick around now (my favorite is my Washburn Acoustic/Electric) once every couple weeks. I was in a couple different bands and played a few shows back in the day. Played some specialty stuff whith my buds in high school for assembelies and stuff (hey, chicks dig it). I can honestly say that being able to play scored me my wife. She hated me before she knew I played. When she heard me, it was pretty much a done deal from there! I've got a '00 Jay Turser (strat style, dual hummbucker) and a no-name Forest acoustic, along with my Washburn.

I'll pose another question. For those of you who play rock, what is your favorite song to play/cover (somethin we've all heard)? For me: "On the Turning Away" by Pink Floyd. Worked for hours and hours and hours learning that last solo and it is so much fun to play its crazy. I couldn't play it now though, its just been too long. AAHHH! I think that they should decide there are long 34 hours in a day instead of 24!
    Leave No Trace

My instrument of choice is the Swinette. Y'all have never heard of a "Swinette"? It's two grass strings (baling twine) stretched over a pig's behind. You pick it with your teeth!

Seriously, I'm envious of those who have musical talent. Unfortunately, I have never been musically inclined, although I would love to learn to play the banjo.

It appears there is a lot of musical talent in our ranks! Play on!

Wow! A lot of great, and interesting, replies. I didn't expect there to be so many musicians here. That's great.

Wild One - my favorite rock song to play changes pretty frequently. But right now, it would have to be 'Stranglehold' by Ted Nugent. At acoustic open mics, I really enjoy playing 'Wish You Were Here'.

I play guitar. Mainly bluegrass and flatpicking old time fiddle tunes. I play a couple times a month in my church praise band. Mainly, I play for the cat and dog at night after my wife and son go to bed. I also play bass guitar in the band when our real bassist is on vacation.

I've been playing off and on for about 30 years.

To call me a musician would be somewhat of a stretch.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Played in a band years ago, have a 1967 Les Paul Deluxe and a Gibson Challenger. Haven't picked them up in years though...

Have played keyboards since i was 7 y/o. Currently have Roland stage piano, M-Audio Prokeys controller, and an Alesis synthesizer. Also started playing acoustic - Alvarez, and some Electric - Cort. My son has followed my endeavors. He also fly fish's, tyes his own flies also. I started him fishing and he started me tying. He also picked up the guitar - found out chicks dig guys that play guitar. Also use cubase and acid pro software to record my own music creations.

Quote Originally Posted by kgarland
    ... chicks dig guys that play guitar...

THAT IS A LIE! Straighten your kid out! I believed that lie and look at me now - a room full of amps and guitars, much poorer and missing out on a whole lot of sleep. Here's the way I saw it work out after years of bands:

Women really want the lead singer. However, the lead singer is WAY too into himself to notice.
    The guitarists are PO'ed because all the women want the singer. They end up staying with the keg after the women leave.
    The bass player loads up the gear early (he's in the band because he has the van) and heads home to his wife.
    The drummer ends up with the women who wanted the singer in the first place.

Get your son into percussion - THEY are the ones who end up with the chicks!

+ Reply to Thread