+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly does not lay down on the water

Jeb-

Couple of thoughts:

When you say that "your stop is too hard", it made me wonder if your "stop" is exaggerated enough to actually result in a slight backward motion.

Also kind of wondering why you find it necessary to tie such a small Griffith's Gnats when the fly is intended to represent a midge cluster.

------------------
    Taxon
    [url=http://FlyfishingEntomology.com:1acdd]FlyfishingEntomology.com[/url:1acdd]

Jed your tippet is too heavy for a #24, try 8x.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

i use 7X for flies all the way down to #32. never had a problem from my 3 wt. i have experienced what i "imagine" is the same situation, and i corrected the problem by doing 2 things: 1)less aggression in the forward cast and 2)line speed control.

IMO--anything less than 7X is an affectation...purely for looks. youre mileage may vary.

Jed,
    It used to bother me too but now I'm of the same persuasion as Rich Ward. Be sure your leader leaves the fly parallel to the hook shank. Tighten the knot well and inspect by holding the fly by the leader. If you are using a clinch knot, change to a turle knot and vise versa. Don't be afraid to re tye your knot if it leaves the shank at an angle. You will have less trouble if you keep your tippets small...7x or 8x but 6x if you're getting broken off too much for the 24s and smaller.This should take care of it at least some of the time!

Ol' Bill

Jed,

What knot are you using. A clinch knot, with 7x tippet tied tight to such a small fly can have the affect you are describing. Perhaps a duncan look knot will help the fly flutter and land flat. Just an idea, cause I have yet to use a fly much smaller than #18!

Have fun, jeff

I am using a 24 Griffith's Gnat because I can't get a 28. On this water the small flies get the big fish. Go to a #20 and you'll catch almost nothing.

I use a modified Turtle's knot, with the loop tightening back on the line, not the hook shank.

Tomorrow or Thursday I will try using 8x and using a knot that leaves a loop, rather than tying tight to the hook. Then I will work on a less agressive cast and letting the line feed out at the end of the cast so it rest gently on the water. I'll report back. Thanks all for your advice.

jed

I had the same problem.

1. I changed to 8x tippet.
    2. I tied with an up eye hook.
    Mustad 94842.
    3. I didn't mind a top loop if the fish
    didn't.

------------------
    Analizing our differences not only leads to enlightenment, but also to new and interesting ideas that you yourself may never have thought of.

I feel sorry for those 20" fish if you're going to land them with 8X tippet.

Problem solved. 8x and concentrating on my casting form made the difference.

Benjo,
    Don't cry too much for those fish. They were all brought in and released with a minimum of stress.

jed

Jed,
    Usually, when I fish with a #22-#28 fly, I use a 2#, or 3# rod, 7X tippet, and leader, and have only rarely lost a fish. (Yes, I catch very large fish with the smallest of flies and equipment). I think a heavier rod overpowers the small fly in placement. Be gentle. Soften up the casting stroke. Is the knot set low in the eye, so that it's pulling the front end up? Are the flies overhackled? Do you want some #28 hooks? I'll send you some! I love tying flies that small...and, better yet, fishing them!
    Betty

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread