+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toon vs. Yak

Default Re: Toon vs. Yak

To be honest, I have never been in a Kayak. In my area it is float tubes or Pontoons so I have never even though twice about it.
    Two pluses I see to a Kayak is you are completely out of the COLD water and they do cruise fast.
    Again, I have the Cardiac Canyon by Scadden which is no longer made due to the Sky, BUT, I hear they are bringing it back.
    Mine is 11 1/2' pontoons and a "12" diameter so wind is not as big of a problem. They are very low profile. I have taken it down the Snake and it is VERY easy to steer (except for that darn tree that jumped out and stopped me kinda quickly - which i just kicked around and was on my way again).
    With the Kayak being faster is really not important to me because you wanna go slow. However, if that storm moves in I have fopund that the CC and the Navigator II move very quickly by rowing.
    We took the Navigators to Idaho because they have all the features that the CC have, BUT they fold up into a back pack so very easy to transport. NO FRAME.
    The only down side I have found with the Navi is: 1. The oars need to be 1' longer and 2. they don't move as quick as a pontoon with a motor. The pluses are, they do not turn sideways like a pontoon in the wind, they stay straight as can be. and they fly with the oars or flippers. And of course the size and no frame feature are a big plus. I drive a small SUV and I have to use a trailer with the CC, but the Navi fits in the back of my Suzuki.

FG,
    Are the Scadden boats made in Salt Lake? The more I hear the name the more it seems like I've heard it there before plus he has a Salt Lake or Utah county phone number. Have you had yours down the Green? I'm sure they'd do fine if you've had it on the Snake. If the Navi stays put in the wind, it would be great on the 'berry.

You know, come to think of it, I'd never heard of anyone fishing from a kayak til I moved out of Utah either. Wonder why....

Thanks for the info everybody. I don't know if I'm any closer to a decision, but I'm certainly more informed.
    Leave No Trace

Wild One, good luck with this. I don't know about you but I am now coveting about 3 new types of watercraft. Just one bit of warning though....

Some folks push their boats past what some others would think of as reasonable and/or desirable. For example, if I stood up on a Sit-On-Top kayak, I would fall in. There is no doubt. Others swear that SOT kayaks are perfect because you can stand up in them. Someone in this thread mentioned that they had taken their recreational kayak down Class 5 rapids. If they say so, they probably did so. But don't buy a recreational kayak planning to take it down Class 3 and up rapids. Here's a description of Class 5 rapids:

Class V- Extremely difficult. Long and violent rapids that follow each other almost without interruption. River filled with obstructions. Big drops and violent currents. Extremely steep gradient. Even reconnoitering may be difficult. Rescue preparations mandatory. Can be run only by top experts in specially equipped whitewater canoes, decked craft, and kayaks.

It would be great if you could borrow/rent some of these watercraft and see what works for you. The post about having more than one was funny but also on target. Buying used helps out with that strategy.

Happy boat lust. And remember, if you get a canoe or kayak..... Keep the Open Side Up!

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Quote Originally Posted by BrookieAngler
    Wild One, good luck with this. I don't know about you but I am now coveting about 3 new types of watercraft. Just one bit of warning though....

Some folks push their boats past what some others would think of as reasonable and/or desirable. For example, if I stood up on a Sit-On-Top kayak, I would fall in. There is no doubt. Others swear that SOT kayaks are perfect because you can stand up in them. Someone in this thread mentioned that they had taken their recreational kayak down Class 5 rapids. If they say so, they probably did so. But don't buy a recreational kayak planning to take it down Class 3 and up rapids. Here's a description of Class 5 rapids:

Class V- Extremely difficult. Long and violent rapids that follow each other almost without interruption. River filled with obstructions. Big drops and violent currents. Extremely steep gradient. Even reconnoitering may be difficult. Rescue preparations mandatory. Can be run only by top experts in specially equipped whitewater canoes, decked craft, and kayaks.

It would be great if you could borrow/rent some of these watercraft and see what works for you. The post about having more than one was funny but also on target. Buying used helps out with that strategy.

Happy boat lust. And remember, if you get a canoe or kayak..... Keep the Open Side Up!

Yup! That description is pretty accurate, except for the last part. I'm by no means an expert and my Yak is a Wilderness Systems Victory Bravo, definitly not a 'specialty' yak. I left out part of the story. That was the part about me being stupid enough to accidentally get caught in the rapids while fishing. I was lucky. Sheer terror got me through it without even losing my gear. I wouldn't do it again...not without the right equipment and practice. I was just trying to illustrate the point that Yaks are virtually unsinkable, even by idiots like me!

Semper absente piscatio
    (Always out fishing)

Quote Originally Posted by Wild One
    FG,
    Are the Scadden boats made in Salt Lake? The more I hear the name the more it seems like I've heard it there before plus he has a Salt Lake or Utah county phone number. Have you had yours down the Green? I'm sure they'd do fine if you've had it on the Snake. If the Navi stays put in the wind, it would be great on the 'berry.

You know, come to think of it, I'd never heard of anyone fishing from a kayak til I moved out of Utah either. Wonder why....

Thanks for the info everybody. I don't know if I'm any closer to a decision, but I'm certainly more informed.
    They are made in Ogden. I got a chance to go through the warehouse when I picked up our Navi's. WOW! he has got some killer ideas, and the best part, he is a fisherman, so he gives us all what we want and need.

See my response to the "Help me decide" post.

http://flyanglersonline.com/bb/viewt...p?f=25&t=20671

Float tubes and pontoons are not very popular down here... Gators!

We tend to keep all our body parts out of the water...
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

I've got a very old 10 foot aluminum jon boat and absolutely love it! It fits in the bed of my toymotor and is very easy to load and unload. I built a raised platform for a swivel seat that fits over the bench seats or it can be placed between them for better balance. A trolling motor gets to the fishing holes relatively fast, and allows for slow, quiet movement once I get there. A good marine deep cycle battery lasts all day, no problem-o.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenFish
    I've got a very old 10 foot aluminum jon boat and absolutely love it! It fits in the bed of my toymotor and is very easy to load and unload. I built a raised platform for a swivel seat that fits over the bench seats or it can be placed between them for better balance. A trolling motor gets to the fishing holes relatively fast, and allows for slow, quiet movement once I get there. A good marine deep cycle battery lasts all day, no problem-o.

We talked of a john boat also, but the stillwaters we fish, I would not trust a boat that small. I know my pontoon is about the same size, but I feel totally safe in my pontoon on ruff waters. Those little boats just fill up with water and sink....can't happen on a pontoon

This is getting out of hand!!

I have an Outcast Fishcat Cougar, (pontoon), and it is the ultimate fishing machine! If you think stillwater, wind blown banks, and high winds, there is no other option than a pontoon for pwc. I have a fishing buddy with a kayak, and the wind takes advantage of him every time, anchor or none. He has to spend too much time repositioning, or finding position for that matter. In my 'toon, I row quickly to the area I wish to fish, usually near a wind blown bank, as they concentrate fish most often. Once I'm in the general area, I stow away the oars and drop my feet into the water with my kick fins on. With my back to the wind, holding position is as easy as kicking gently with my feet. My buddy, on the other hand, will most often be blown into the water he's fishing and has to stop fishing to paddle back out! Overall speed comparison is dependant on wether or not I want to register and add my 30lb. thrust Minn-Kota. I've had it on my pontoon on private water. WOW!! I lock the shaft in place, turn the switch to high forward, fifth speed, kick my feet up, grab the oars to dip-steer as needed, and put off a h*** of a wake! Raced a twelve foot john boat with two anglers and a 65lb. thrust troller and handed it to'em, against wind and waves!
    No need for rod holders on this craft, either. I take two rods out with me every time, mandatory. The quad tubes on this model allow me to lay a rod on each side, by simply sliding the reel and handle under the gear bags, with both rods pointing forward for rowing, or one facing rearward for fishing. Another plus of the quad tubes is surface contact. This baby rides super low pro' on the water, resulting in less wind reaction.

In short, Pontoons rule!
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

+ Reply to Thread