+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Late season tactics for stocked rivers?

Default Late season tactics for stocked rivers?

Being relatively new to this fly angling stuff, and very inexperienced regarding trout, and never having fished coldwater past July, I wondered what are useful tactics for this type of fishing? Our rivers are quite low right now, and my one attempt last weekend resulted in several chubs, and a couple 6 inch smallmouth, taking dries. I realize that the numbers of trout are down by this time of year, but there must be some left. We hiked beyond the beaten paths some, and tried to target deeper water, but our results were not encouraging. Available info that I have found seems to focus on waters that have good numbers of wild fish. Are the tactics the same?

Default Re: Late season tactics for stocked rivers?

Pretty much the same. Wild or stocked, they need cold water, they got to eat, and it's spawning for some.

We get to fish our rivers year-round. Pretty much the same tactics work although you do more dry/top water fishing in the summer and more wet/"deep" fishing in the winter. I've only had to break ice at the shoreline once
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Deezel Guest

Well, I'm heading out in the morning and guess the river we're going to will be low, slow and clear. The river is stocked early in the season and where we're going is C & R. Now we haven't been there this year so we're not sure what to expect. We do have a 'plan b', just in case.

Anyway, to the point of your question. One thing I expect is that in these conditions, dry flies will probably be more effective when fished with a longer than normal leader/tippet. Also, care in wading and a low sillouette will be helpful. Presentation is important, perhaps more so than matching the hatch. You want to catch the trout, not give it a heart attack

Deezel

I have had very good success using streamers later in the season. The young of the year fishes are a bit larger and a bit more daring and big fish eat little fish. I concentrate near structure and swifter currents. I cast above the structure and dead drift the streamer in, swing it in, and I strip it across current. Try a bunch of different presentations. All the fish won't be looking for the same offering and sometimes repeat offerings will draw strikes.

Blog Entries

[color=Try nymphing and get the nymphs right down on the bottom, drag free and see it you don't pick up some fish.

Larry#008000] [/color]
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Actually, I'm not always a fan of late season fly fishing. Yes, I am leaving Monday for a week of it. The fish are upstream seeking colder water. Water with more oxygen. They are bunched up so to speak. Sometimes spawning as well. If the water is warm to fight one is just plain wrong and tough on the fish. Be very careful when you fish late summer and early fall.

Thanks all for your replies. I am heading out this morning to give your suggestions a try.

Glenmoore, PA, on the banks of the East Brandywine Creek

Try fishing down stream from a feeder creek, especially after some rain. The feeder will add cooler water to the stream you are fishing and the fish tend to be more active. I live in SE PA, where it is much warmer than NY and the fishing is very good in the summer on many of the larger creeks, especially those fed by upstream lakes. Check with a local fly fishing shop to see what hatches happen during the late summer. Here in PA we have quite a good Trico hatch and I have caught fish all summer on a tan hair caddis. Terristrials like ants and beetles will always catch a few fish too.

These waters don't get warm here, and the flow now is more wading friendly then spring-summer. Nothing much to change yet. Small stream brookies and browns still like bushy flies.

+ Reply to Thread