+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upper Conn River Pittsburg, NH

Default Upper Conn River Pittsburg, NH

I heading up to Pittsburg, NH next week for a family vacation and hope to get in some fly fishing in the evenings. This time of year is it better to bring a 9 ft 5 wt or a 7.5 ft 3 weight? I've neven been.

Also any guidance/links on flies or places to fish would be great. I hear that fishing is strongly flow dependent.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    -John

my wife and i stayed up there a couple of years ago, at the timberland lodge cabins. beautiful. fished the lake outlet a couple of evenings, and my 7'9" 3-wt was ideal. we did really well, and i never had to change my #16 adams.

have fun,
    bill

Depends on where you intend to fish. The lake outlets and streams or the river below town. The 3wt is fine on the streams and between the lakes but the river widens below town and the 5 wt would be best there. Why not bring both?

Al

Just got back from there ... stayed at Lopstick, nice trout on the "ledges", closer to the dam I got a nice salmon. Used a 4 wgt and best hits were adams 12,14 and humpy. enjoy

fishfish, isn't it nice up there? I think that Doug and Linda at Timberland Camps also own Lopstick, might be wrong on that however. Anyway they are great folks and have done a terrific job over the past 20 years. When they purchased Timberland it was a run down set of camps, Doug rebuild most by himself.

The fishing up there back in the mid 80's was pretty slow, mostly lakers and some small brookies. It's vastly improved now with additional stocking and is an excellent area to visit and fish.

My last visit to the area was in winter of 2003 for a fly and lie get together. Timberland was booked solid with snowmachines and ice fisherman.

Al

+ Reply to Thread