+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New breathable waders

nighthawk Guest

Default New breathable waders

Well, I finally broke down and bought my new breathable waders. I couldn't help it. It happened during a trip to Cabela's at Hamburg, Pa. Cabela's Dry-Plus breathable GII boot foot with felt soles. I am a stout fellow and was surprised at how much room their regular size waders have in them. Got the little woman a great deal on a pair of Reebok walkers too along with a shirt she really wanted.

I have neoprene chest and hip waders too. Now I can use the neoprene chest waders in the winter only and the hip boots for canoe launching duties in cool weather.

Default Re: New breathable waders

Once you try those on the water you may never wear your neoprenes again. I got rid of mine as I don't steelhead and they also developed a few leaks. The breathables are so comfy and less restrictive with more range of motion it's a done deal for me. I only haven't tried them in 50 deg water but I think using breathable long johns, under wool underwear followed by fleece would/should do the trick plus you don't sweat! Welcome back to conus good buddy.
    Racine

I believe it was John Geirach who said that the introduction of neoprene waders was the meanest practical joke ever played on fishermen.
    Joe

nighthawk Guest

I think you guys are right. I will say that the neoprene are good for ice fishing though.

nighthawk,
    I also have the GII bootfoots and I like they very much. Two seasons in the surf, so far, so good.
    I still haven't given up on my Cabela's 5mm neoprenes (or my feather lites, or my canvas hippers) though and still wear them in colder weather

They're about 13 years young and have been through too much to just throw them away like an old shoe
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I have both and haven't use the neo's in years. For winter I just put an extra pair of polar fleece pants underneath and it keeps me more than warm. I find it more comfortable than the neo's even with the 2 pair of pants.

jed

I have always used neo's. I am on my 3rd pair in 12 years I think. Cheap and they do the job. I have been looking at simm's waders but just can't pull the trigger. After spending $50 on waders my whole life, the $500 price tag is shocking. I know they will be well worth it and last forever, I just need some a few more reasons before I tell my wife how much they were.

My cousin bought a pair of breathables this year and he loves them (not sure of the brand, but they were onsale last ones left clearence type deal). It used to be he would quite fishing after about 5-6 hours because he just wasn't comfortable. Now he can fish from dawn till dusk and not have a complaint in the world. His friend got a pair 2 years ago and said he actually stays warmer in winter because he never gets damp like after a few hours in neo's. He can stand in 35* water for hours with a pair of long johns and fleece wading pants.

If you try them in winter you will probably never wear the neo's again.

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

I have a new pair of Orvis Silver Labels and love them.

I was also concerned about not having enough padding to stay warm in cold water - but found that wearing some fleece layers underneath did the trick to keep the cold at bay.

It also helps to keep your torso really insulated as well to keep your core body temp up.

One added advantage - breathable waders usually don't have the same "stench" as neoprene waders do!
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Neoprenes might still have a place in the fishing/hunting world but for versatility I'll go with breathables every time. You pick the brand. I've owned less expensive ones and never been fully satisfied with the performance (read as leaks). Now every waders going to leak eventually. I tend to look at it like tires. They don't last forever but if you take proper care of them, dry them, store them in a cool, dry environment, out of direct sun light and periodically clean them (in accordance with the manufactures recommendations), you'll get better and longer performance (your mileage might vary).

But as for comfort, if you allow for a bit of room for layering and include things like thremax or poly long johns, fleece pants, jackets and socks, you'll find they can easily perform in most, if not all, fishing conditions. I can't say I've never been cold in breathables but I've never been so cold I couldn't fish.

Nighthawk - I'm sure you'll be delighted with the comfort and ease of use you'll discover with the breathables. You'll fish better and longer because you're more comfortable. Use that bit of extra room to layer up for those conditions that warrent it and you'll probably never use your neoprenes again. Good job, hope you get many years of use out of them.
    Joe Bertolini

I have both. I use the neoprene in winter because they are warm and because I have them. Once they wear out I will NOT me replacing them with.

To me the biggest drawback to neoprens is the feeling that I'm wearing TIGHTS...not a very masculine feeling.

Scott

+ Reply to Thread