+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7wt vs 8wt

Default 7wt vs 8wt

Hey guys, Im thinking about getting a new rod/reel setup for light saltwater fishing. Im already sold on the Pflueger Trion reel. However im still not sure what wt rod to get. 7wt or 8wt. The primary use will be for bay fishing around tampa/sarasota. I know wind is a factor with these lighter weight rods and so for beach fishing i would use my old 9wt rod.

The other idea is to try and keep it light for freshwater fishing as well. and so thats why i was leaning towards the 7wt. After reading through just about every single post im still not sure either way. All i do know is that 7wt is just about the absolute lowest anyone would go for salty. I want to keep it lighter as well so that its easier to fish longer periods of time.

What do you guys think?

Also, any suggestions on rod's under 150 bucks?

Thanks,

Tim.

Default Re: 7wt vs 8wt

Since you already have a 9 wt I would suggest the 7 wt. An intermediate line will also help you cut thru the wind. That said some days are just goning to be tough even with the 9 wt.
    If you think you would ever sell the rod an 8 wt would be easier to sell also if your on a trip an 8wt could back you up in case you break a rod better than a 7wt

A seven weight is by no means the smallest you can go in the salt.

I use 3 wts in the salt, with my primary rod being a 6 wt, and never go heavier than a 8wt, but I never use the indicated lines on them.

I always look at line weight for what I want to do, that varies from a 5 wt to a 13 wt.

As far as you minimum weight it should depend on how you want to fish using what. Small offerings in back waters only need small lines and setups to present them. I determine my rod for the day depending on presentation (fly size and technique I am going to use).

If you feel that a seven weight is just right for what you want then go for it.

Angler skill fights the fish, not the rod.
    Your hooks sharp????

Quote Originally Posted by Micropteris
    and never go heavier than a 8wt
    Micropteris...............
    I've got some Giant Trevally at Christmas Island you ought to meet !!!
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

You fight the fish with the reel not the rod.

Fly rods suck for fighting fish. They are good at protecting light tippets and presenting flies, not fighting fish, or even hook setting.

During my learning curve, I snapped a 9 wt on a 1lb smallmouth trying to muscle a hook set into him with the rod. When I thought there was more backbone for fish wrestling in heavier rods.

Try and put more than 5 lbs of pressure on a fish with any flyrod, other than pointing the rod directly at the fish, it's not going to happen. If you point your rod at the fish you can do it with a three weight and even smaller rods.

I have bent 2/0 steel hooks out of a fish with a six weight. You can put plenty of pressure on fish with light rods as long as you know how to do it.

The more I fish the more I realize I need to be easier fighting fish, even big ones.

Sorry about the hijack Mister Timson. It just annoys me that "you must have heavy gear for salt water and spend lots of cash to go to fancy places." I bought into all that big and expensive hype and regret all the money I spent on useless gear.

If you feel it is the right rod go for the seven weight.

I love the LL Bean streamlights at 130 bucks it is in your price range. Those rods wear like iron and have some life in them. Great warranty too. I have returned their other rods but never their streamlights.
    Your hooks sharp????

Quote Originally Posted by Micropteris
    Fly rods suck for fighting fish. They are good at protecting light tippets and presenting flies, not fighting fish, or even hook setting.
    Micropteris....
    Sorry, but I have to disagree. There have been a lot of Yellowfin Tuna and Marlin taken with fly rods. They are an excellent tool for fighting big fish as long as you don?t try to just fight them with the tip of the rod. That is when they are broken. Recently Dan Blanton was involved in a test of the pulling strength of fly rods. I think it was recorded that he pulled 23 pounds with the rod at the proper angle of below 45 degrees.
    FFF Life Member #22

I have to agree with mic and Dick but I don't see the fun in straightlining a big fish, though I have...the angle of the rod does change the amount of pressure I can put on larger trout and smallies...and I'll go after large trout with a 3 wt, but not smallies...I use a minimum of a 4 wt but more often a 5. In the salt, well I want to be prepared for anything so I'm thinking I'll be fine with a nine.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

8. Default Re: 7wt vs 8wt

I have an eight wt. and a ten wt. and I let the conditions decide which I use. Windy with a big fly, ten weight. Smaller flies and calm, eight weight. The guys I fish with (I'm the only guy with a fly rod) look at my rod and always tell me I'm not going to be able to handle any real fish with it.

Timson,

If in you situation, having the 9wt, I'd also suggest the 7wt. A 7wt is what I use for southern California bays for fish in the 1 to 10lb range.

For some good ones for $150 or less, look for rods from Echo, Temple Fork Outfitters, Albright, Redington, and St. Croix.

Micro. , flyrods can be very effective fishing fighting tools when used effectively and absolutely critical in some cases such as when short stroking tuna from the depths or trying to throw a large fish off balance. It is very difficult to pull on a large fish that is below you by reaching over the rail of a boat and straightlining the fish in. The puts you in a position that is not good for you back and takes away the power in your legs, which when used in conjunction with your arms can generate a lot of power. I can pull 10 lbs or more with my 13wt rod and better anglers can pull more. I can pull around 7# with my 10wt. Some anglers can pull 20lbs or more with some fly rods.

Art Scheck, in is book 'A fishing Life is Hard Work', relates a demonstration where some anglers were asked to pull their hardest with a 12wt rod. Several could pull over 5lbs, and with some brief instruction we able to reach 10lbs right away.

Fly rods can be quite effective at whipping large fish. One needs to flex the rod into the butt while keeping the tip straight. Any questions about the effectiveness of fighting big fish with a fly rod should read some about Andy Mills and his tarpon skills. (http://www.floridasportsman.com/flyfishing/0501108/)

To address the initial question, if you already have a 9 weight I would recommend a 7 weight.

Regards, Keith

+ Reply to Thread