+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Request for practical advice on a retirement centered on tro

Default Request for practical advice on a retirement centered on tro

I retire next June, and my wife and I will live in what has been called "frugal comfort." That is, we will have enough to eat, drink, travel, and fish. No kids, no parents, no obligations. I have here in Korea some of the most interesting bass fishing I have ever had. I fly fish almost exclusively, largely wading in shallow rivers. My wife fly and spin fishes. We both tie.

Korea is essentially troutless, and we want a good shot at trout. In addition, the coastal waters here are the quintessential overfished aquatic desert, and we would like some salt fishing from land, or wading. We are not after the ?weekend of our life? in Bermuda, or ?the fish of our lives.? My philosophy is one of making every day a good day. That is, a day without at least one fine meal is a wasted day. An evening meal without a bottle of wine is a wasted meal. And a week without at least two solid days of fishing is a wasted week.

Six days of hot dogs and cokes followed by a meal at a two-star restaurant is hardly an ideal week. Different strokes?. Likewise, six months of good twice-a-week real-world fishing is far better than a six-month period with the only fishing being a week at a lodge in Northern Canada. (With that price tag for two that would support a month in Paris.)

To show how serious we are: I have spent considerable time on the Web trying to figure out how to migrate to New Zealand. Seems they have no desire to have a 65-year-old man settle there and drain the health system for a couple of decades. There is no retirement category.

I am certified in high school science teaching, and New Zealand needs science teachers, especially up in Auckland. (The most expensive area, plus the farthest from daily fishing, and so the least desirable.) There is no mandatory retirement age for teachers in New Zealand, but it seems that getting a work permit after 56 is tough, but according to some sites, not impossible. I?m still checking, but it doesn?t look promising.

A funny thing that keeps popping up on official NZ government Websites is that the foreign teachers they accept are usually from countries with a similar language and culture: Ireland, the UK, Canada, Australia, and South Africa. My country of origin, the US, although English-speaking, is conspicuously absent. A couple of Kiwis I once met in Thailand told me that NZ has an attitude that ?we are all in this together,? which they concluded was distinctly not typically American, as shown by American voting patterns. The Kiwi couple also said religion in their country is much more of a private affair. So even if I were a decade younger, my cultural background might not pass the test. I could show them my Che tee-shirt, but a certificate validating my church non-attendance since I was 13 would be hard to come by.

My wife is 38, and if she had majored in nursing or special childhood education, we could do it from her end, but she majored in art. We seriously considered having her enroll in a NZ nursing school. I could go as family (couldn?t work, wouldn?t need to anyway, not at all). Upon graduation, she (and her husband, me) could become a Kiwi. But her English, while quite nice, would have to make a quantum leap to get accepted at a univeristy. The English part is much harder than the nursing part.

All this is to indicate how much we want some seriously long-term trout fishing, and coastal fishing. But as for New Zealand, it is not just the trout and snappers. The country (from what I hear) is beautiful and has a great climate, and in addition has a profoundly attractive culture. And you can fish all day on a river and may well see no other fishermen. (Unlike places in the US where people may have to wait in line to fish a run or a pool.) I would instantly start the citizenship process if given a chance. But, alas?.

That is the background. Now the questions.

1) What would be a good country to move to (or live long-term in) to trout fish and ocean fish.

2) What would be a good country to visit for a while to trout fish. Mongolia could be one. (It has the ?dream? $12,000 week for two.) Everything is so vague about Mongolia. Guides seem to be connected only to ?resorts.? On your own where the populace speaks zero English, well?. I hear it is completely safe for camping. I also know, from non-fishing friends who have been there, that the Mongolian diet is primarily cookies, candy, and cokes, so campers MUST take a month?s supply of rice, pasta, flour for pancakes, canned vegetables (your only way to have vegetables) and dried beans. Then we would hope for good fishing. The country?s grocery stores, to use the term loosely, simply do not sell real food.

3) We could go to New Zealand for the summer or is it winter (anyway, the trout season). The supposed way to do this is to buy a cheap car (US$3-4000), camp half the time, to be near the fish as well as save money, and do motels and restaurants the other half. Kiwis, is this reasonable?

4) We cast fairly long and accurately, and wade a lot for bass, but we have little trout experience. I would hate to go to NZ for four months and catch a few small fish.

To finish, I have watched all the go-to-NZ-and-buy-a-car-and-camp-and-catch-a-thousand-big-fish videos, and they are devoid of practical information. I have read all the NZ guide Web pages I could find. They say guides are necessary. One guide said don?t believe the videos, NZ trout and waters are among the world?s toughest ? ?They don?t hook themselves.? It would be OK for a guide a couple of times, but a long-term US$600-a-day-habit is tough, whether it?s for heroin or a guide.

Whew! If you bothered reading this far, thank you.

Busbee

Default Re: Request for practical advice on a retirement centered on tro

busbee,
    Just my thoughts! I'm happy for you that you can retire and that both you and your wife fish! If your determined, dedicated and passionate about learning to fish for NZ trout, then Go For It!!!!
    Just make sure you collect every speck of info....FIRST.
    I can imagine standing in the NZ river spotting a brown and then trying to get it to bite my fly, in CRYSTAL CLEAR WATER! You best have PATIENCE.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Congrats B - I've got 609 days left myself. What about coming home? My retirement plans are similar to yours - eat, sleep, fish, drink a little Rhone. At the moment, I'm thinking Asheville, NC. From that point I can fish for Trout, Smallies, Largemouth, and all the panfish species. When I get the urge, the ocean is not too far away. The only thing I'll miss is the Steelhead season in the Lake Erie tribs, but I can always take a week or so and head north. Living outside of Asheville does not seem to be too costly. The other places I want to explore are small fishing towns/art colonies that I understand can be found in southern Washington and northern Oregon. Again the multiple species and saltwater would be available. Let us know what you decide and, most importantly, ENJOY!
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

British Colombia in Canada comes to mind.

Got my retirement property bought in vermont on Furnace brook a good trout stream not far from the ocean for strippers should be perfect now to just sell my house here in Minnesota .

Congrats on retirement, long way away for me, but please keep us posted on where you go, and all of the places you consider and visit (take pictures!!).

Drew
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

Blog Entries

you don't say why the USA wasn't your first thought, but really, it does have the best bargain for either the life you're imagining or a six-month taste to see if you like it. driving is still cheaper here than anywhere else in the world, and you can drive to a lot of good fishing from NC or OR or a lot of other states. camping and cheap stays are still around. and no, not all the streams are wall-to-wall angers, especially if you're retired. loads of people feel as you do about the finer things in life so there are friends to make. lots of them fish!

honestly, PA is so full of trout streams that in three years we still have not wandered more than 90minutes from home base and still have had all the variety and world-class fishing one could imagine. the seasonal (read shad run) and ocean stuff is a cinch from Arlington, VA (cost of living is not as cheap as PA, however!)

just remember not to "move" to anywhere you've not visited in the last year, especially where retirement is concerned. too many friends have gone dream-chasing and came home poorer in pocket and spirit. it may tax the budget to do the research, but consider it an investment in your education. as a dear family friend taught us, "You gotta go somewhere to know how to go there."
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

BRitish Columbia was my first thought

Travelling around camping etc and staying in country cabins / motels is very doable. Its a tourist friendly place, and very safe to travel within.

For specific nz fishing info, check out the NZ Flyfishing Forum (not a plug moderators, just directing this chap to a good source of local kiwi fishing info) at www.flyshop.co.nz

While a guide is not essential a day or two initially with a good one will help orient you, and help teach you how and where to find our trout, as well as introduce you to the Kiwi style of sight fishing. This will ensure you have solid foundation for the remainder of your trip and make your available fishing time that much more enjoyable.

There is another thread current on this forum re nz, take a read and have fun! And dont believe those dvd's. Whilst there is a lot of 'easy' fishing available, these dvd's sometimes take years to film... not every day is a trophy fish day!

Chris

busbee, except for coastal fishing, you could be describing the Mountain Home, AR area. Two large lakes, two of the best-known tailwaters in the country, one of the largest spring creeks in the world within 1 1/2 hrs. driving time, 3 more excellent tailwaters within a few hours, some of the best smallmouth fishing around.

+ Reply to Thread