+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a pocket watch?

Default Re: Anyone use a pocket watch?

Thanks for the replies, everyone. My question received a lot more traffic than I thought it would. Guess it wasn't as goofy a question as I thought.

I'll be sure to check out as many of your suggestions as possible. The biggest problem is that pocket watches are difficult to find in the retail stores. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again!

What about ebay ...I'll bet there's a ton of them there...be careful I suppose there are knock-offs.

I have a small collection of pocket watches, but they're all antique. I carry them from time to time but they are not really good for the rigors of outdoor use. For a hight quality watch that keeps near perfect time it's hard to beat a Hamilton 992B. They are some of the finest 21 Jewel wind up watches ever produced period.

I also have a few old Waltham Key Wind watches dating from right after the civil war through the 1880's. They are finly crafted pieces of machinery, but not even close to the 992b in terms of accuracy or precision.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

I have several pocket watches. A nice 17 jewel model I got for my 13th birthday that I just passed on to my son. and a Sekio with all the chronomters etc.
    a few years ago the boys got me a Dakota pocket watch with a carabiner clip. I kinow they bought it at the local mall and paid less than $50. It's lasted through being used everyday in a commercial kitchen and stil keeps great time. I know they also make one called the anglers model with a small led light and hook file. If you want to get really classy.. there are kits to make your own out of wood. Buy the movement and turn the wood case. Made one of these for the oldest a few years ago.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

To all of the watch & clock fans out there who MAY happen to pass through Pennsylvania...

...IF you are anywhere near the Lancaster, PA area, (AKA-Amish Country); take a short drive to Columbia, PA and visit the [url=http://www.nawcc.org/museum/museum.htm:ce0fb]National Watch & Clock Museum[/url:ce0fb].

This place isn't widely known by the non-clock/watch making/collecting crowd but I guarantee you, if you like clocks and watches; you will LOVE this place!

And of course if you have an hour to kill afterwards; The Susquehanna River is right down the road...

Well my first watch was a pocket watch many years ago, I tryed the other but didnt like them. I perfer a pocket watch, I have tryed cheap one and spendy ones. Thou the spendy one did out last the cheap ones. The one that last the longest and worked the best was one that came with a leather belt pouch it proteched the pocket watch far better then any thing esle.
    Ghost.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Quote Originally Posted by Royce
    OK, I realize this might be a goofy question for a fly fishing bulletin board but here goes...

I like carrying a pocket watch instead of wearing a wrist watch. However, I am having trouble finding one that holds up well to the rigors of outdoor use. I think moisture, dirt, getting banged around , etc. are the main problems.

Can any of you who carry a pocket watch recommend a brand, model, etc. that will hold up better than the "cheapies" that I have been using? I would rather spend $100 on a good one that will last for several years than have to keep fighting the $20-$30 models I have tried.

Thanks!

I use the cheap digital ones from Wal-Mart.

Semper Fi!

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Quote Originally Posted by Royce
    OK, I realize this might be a goofy question for a fly fishing bulletin board but here goes...

I like carrying a pocket watch instead of wearing a wrist watch. However, I am having trouble finding one that holds up well to the rigors of outdoor use. I think moisture, dirt, getting banged around , etc. are the main problems.

Can any of you who carry a pocket watch recommend a brand, model, etc. that will hold up better than the "cheapies" that I have been using? I would rather spend $100 on a good one that will last for several years than have to keep fighting the $20-$30 models I have tried.

Thanks!

I use the cheap digital ones from Wal-Mart.

Semper Fi!

Just picked up another lovely watch this weekend! It's a 16s 21 jewel Waltham Riverside. I'll need to replace the dial (it's got 2 chips), but I wound it up and it's keeping excellent time. My first "railroad" grade watch!Not a bad find for $47.

Im very talented. I can smash an expensive pocket watch as quickly as I can waste a cheapie. I like pocket watches but they don't like me.

+ Reply to Thread