+ Reply to Thread

Thread: KAUAI

1. Default KAUAI

I will be going to Kauai in August and want to try to get some fishing in. I will be staying on the southern side of the island. I cannot find any fly shops on the island through the internet. I would like to fish from the shore, has anyone tried this? Does anybody know of any good patterns to tie? Good spots to try? I've never wadded in warm water so I'm hoping there is a chance for that. Any advice on leaders or tippet?
    Thanks in advance!!

------------------

Michael,
    I used to live in Hawaii. I only went to Kauai once (great island by the way) but there wasn't really alot of "flats" to fish from. That doesn't mean it can't be fished there is alot of reef around all of the islands with plenty of fish. I'd say most of the streamer patterns used for say bone fish and the like would be good. Hope this helps... Enjoy the island and check out the grand canyon of the pacific if you have time.
    Mike

Check this out! [url=http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/articles/current/145/Fly+Fishing+Trout+on+the+Koaie+-+Kauai%2C+Hawaii/:d2f64]http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/articles/current/145/Fly+Fishing+Trout+on+the+Koaie+-+Kauai%2C+Hawaii/[/url:d2f64]

I'm heading there in March and am also interested in the FF'n opportunities available for SALTWATER species. If I'm flying halfway around the world to a tropical island I would like to hunt something other than trout.

What weight rod would be optimum for the species you could expect to catch wither from shore or off a sea kayak?

hi there I was over to Kauai last May The Island did not offer much for flats fishing BUT the mouth of the honalay river has BIG JACK CRAVAL! I had an 8 weight with me and I needed a 12 I hook 2 that spooled me like a mack truck! I landed some about 8-10 pounds 1 of the locals there (we rented sea kyaks from him) says they get them up to 40 pounds there. The mouth of the river is where they filmed South Pacfic Clausers and decivers worked best. I did get one keeper.
    I brought home a wife. lol have fun

Rich

We are going to be spending some time on Oahu as well - any info on saltwater FF'n opportunities there as well?

Mike,

I was there three years ago...did not get a chance to fy fish (honey mooning). But I know that they have a few fresh water lakes on the island that have peacock bass. You will need to hire a guide (with a boat to get at them). There were at least 2 peacock bass guides when I looked into it. Sorry I can't be of more help (I gave my travel book away). I'm sure you could google or Yahoo up some information on it. Also check out some of the travel books at your local book store. I think Frommer's guide to Kauai had a little information on fishing. There are no fly shops so bring your own flies.

Besure to check out the Napli coast line (Absolutly beautiful)...I have traveled around the world and it is one of my favorite places on earth....enjoy!

------------------
    John G.
    Albuquerque, NM

[This message has been edited by Fishnfool (edited 14 July 2005).]

[url=http://www.sportfishhawaii.com/bassfishing.htm:86752]http://www.sportfishhawaii.com/bassfishing.htm[/url:86752]

------------------
    John G.
    Albuquerque, NM

+ Reply to Thread