+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fly Floatant; What Kind do you Use?

Default Re: Fly Floatant; What Kind do you Use?

I basically only use Loon Aquel. It doesn't leave a slick unless you put too much on and it supposedly masks human scents. I think it floats flies longer than anything else I've used.

Frogs Fanny, IMHO, doesn't last more than a few floats at most (for me) and where I live you lose 1/2 the application and part of what's in the container from just by putting it on one fly because it can be windy here. I guess "can be" is an understatement <g>

Mixing it with fly drying beads seems to help.

I took an old Chap Stick tube and stuffed it with Mucilin. Works great and a little neoprene sleeve for chap sticks on the landyard to hold it.
    Plus Frogs Fanny. It is a bit messy but much finer than any of those other shake dry. It sticks to the fly. I do wipe any over spray off my tippet. It is by far my favorite. Try it on a pupa or an emerger and it gives the effect of an air bubble like on the real thing.

Great info.. got me to thinking it would be fun to do a Consumer Reports-style product test. You could have the same person tie up a couple dozen Bivisibles, same size and materials, and then douse 'em with all the different brands of snake oil and drop them one at a time into a Jacuzzi with the pump on low. See who floats the longest! Great Science Fair project..

If I had the floatants I would do it!!

One little hint...whatever floatant you use..."less is more"...do not put it on thickly, or it will sink the fly.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Blog Entries

Gink

Myself I prefer the Red Muscilin paste, I use it on the flies and on my furled leaders.
    Quick clean and all natural, because it is not a petroleum based floatant it does not seem to pick up the dirt particles in the water so it seems to float the leaders better.

For many years (30? or better) I used some nasty stuff from Jack's Fly Shop in Roscommon, Michigan. It would light on fire, had some paraffin in it I think and I'm not sure if I want to venture a guess as to what else. It cleaned gunk from my dry flies, floated them OK and left a ring. Never seemed to bother the fish nor me. illegal now I think as it would probably kill you if you drank several gallons or whatever.

Gink

Cheers

Blog Entries

Fly Sauce.

lasts longer than frog fanny, doesn't have seasonal differences in its flow-ability like gink, doesn't make me sneeze like those shakers, doesn't put fish off like a couple of other goos i've tried.

made by Angling Evolutions, 345 Karcher Rd, Nampa, ID 83687 and a true pain to try to find in the East.

worth it, though!
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

+ Reply to Thread