+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Idaho Fish-In Reminder

Default Re: Idaho Fish-In Reminder

Jerry,

I think REE & Stan talked about maybe taking the Spey rods down river one day and trying out the Metal heads.

REE??

I personally think it might be a good days outing.

Denny
    Denny

Jerry and Denny,

I'm bringing a couple of long rods (over 12 feet) for folks to try out, one in six weight, one in 9 weight. Fishing for metalheads, you betcha buddy! I'm sure VEE will beat me to the car, spey rod in hand. A single hand 7 or 8 weight should be plenty of rod.

I'll check in with Mike at the Red Shed Fly Shop in Peck about fishing conditions and numbers on the way over.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

1st I have to get on the Im going list,

2nd flyfishing and tying journal has a good article to tying to match the October Caddis.

See ya all at Lowell

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

It's not getting here soon enough for me. The ID Fish-In is probably the highlite of my fishing year for me...well maybe after a certain planned 4 day weekend in the the Beartooths . I've been thinking about it a whole lot lately and realize that there is just a wee bit of tying that needs to be done

Look forward to the wonderful times there.
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

Dianna has her new z axcis and is on her 3rd or 4th revision of her "to take" list.
    I think she might be a little more excited this year, becouse of all of the great help and encoragment from
    everybody there,and she found that she likes to catch fish.
    "Don't mess with the Mule, just load the wagon"
    David L
    Roseburg Or.

Just checked the Red Shed web site , http://www.redshedflyshop.com , and found out that Mike is holding his spey clave on the 29th of September this year. If you have ever thought about trying spey casting, tying spey flies, or anything to do with 2 handed rods and steelheading this might be an event for you. It's all free. Check Mike's web site for more info.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

I was considering investing in a small game license and killing and skinning some grouse at the fish-in... *burp* but at 80-odd dollars it is a wee bit much for me.

As for steelhead, I will bring along a 9'6" 8wt (really a 9) if someone wants to borrow it to fish with and/or try out. TFO Lefty model, 4 pc. Would be willing to sell it if someone likes it and needs one.

Blog Entries

"I was considering investing in a small game license and killing and skinning some grouse at the fish-in... *burp* but at 80-odd dollars it is a wee bit much for me. "

It is so dry it wouldnt suprise me if the woods are closed during the fishin.

The "experts" are saying this is a 200 year drought, we are down 4 inches of rain this year thats a third of our normal yearly total and its only aug.

If we dont get rain we will all be sitting around a light bulb watching the bugs at night, this area is so dry we are on no fire, no charcoal no nothing, type camping.

Pray for rain for northern Idaho (and i'm sure the rest of the west would appreciate prayers for rain also)
    Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD
    It is so dry it wouldnt suprise me if the woods are closed during the fishin.

The "experts" are saying this is a 200 year drought, we are down 4 inches of rain this year thats a third of our normal yearly total and its only aug.

If we dont get rain we will all be sitting around a light bulb watching the bugs at night, this area is so dry we are on no fire, no charcoal no nothing, type camping.

Pray for rain for northern Idaho (and i'm sure the rest of the west would appreciate prayers for rain also)
    Eric

Yep I hear you there. It's the same over here, but at least I can still get out and hike. Last weekend I had to go over to Beartooth Pass to escape the smoke. For whatever reason Shoshone National Forest has lifted all their restrictions but the rest of the area around here is at Stage 2 (except the Beartooth-Absoroka Wilderness which is still Stage 1 since it is Wilderness Area and most activities that are in Stage 2 are banned anyways in there) . As for not having a fire...after this summer, I am pretty much used to it . Lets hope that over the next month the West gets a bit of moisture.

At least I have still found some great fishing; 120+ fish last weekend helped me get over the restrictions
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

Ok.. I am getting ready for the fish-in, now I am just trying to convince my spouse for us and the fam to go, she is not quite convinced that a bunch of fly fishers are good company.

I have tied up plenty of shwapf's using orange dubbing mixed with copper lightbright, these will be good this September on the S.F. Boise and I think up there as well.

I am thinking I can convince her to camp along the SF Clearwater and drive into the fish in if she won't go to the fish-in itself. I haven't caught a south fork steelhead in two years, I am looking forward to it is a well.

I will bring my dads western auto fly rod and the reel I fixed with parts from a ball point pen for fun if I get to go.

Send the luck my way so I can go.

+ Reply to Thread