+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a pocket watch?

Default Re: Anyone use a pocket watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Photojoe4
    The two I most often use are an 18 size 17 jewel Waltham, and a 16 size 17 jewel Waltham. Both are hunter movements, but are set in an open face case (sometimes called a "sidewinder"). Really, I don't see why any well made watch wouldn't work just fine as long as you take a few precautions:

1. If you (and the watch you're wearing) get dunked in the stream, open up the watch case when you get home to let the movement dry to prevent it from rusting. You also may need to have it re-oiled by a qualified watchmaker if it seems to not be keeping good time.

2. Keep the watch secured to your person. Wether its a chain, a fob, or whatever, find some way of keeping the watch from falling out of your pocket.

3. Don't put anything else in the pocket that you keep your watch in.

4. No, really, don't put anything else in that pocket!

5. Get you watch serviced every couple of years by a qualified watchmaker.
    Photojoe,
    I just wanted to tell you sincerely, that your reply was a 'Pleasure' to read! What a honor it is to hear from someone who is a expert about carrying Pocket Watches! It is a treasure from our past and thank you for keeping it alive!
    Doug

My watches all keep time to within about 5 seconds a day, and I go fishing with them about once every other week- not too bad, considering the newest one I have was made in 1932. Oh, and I don't think I've paid more than $50 for any one of them. Hope this helps.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Photojoe4,
    I just wanted to tell you sincerely, that your reply was a 'Pleasure' to read! What a Honor it is to hear from someone who is a expert about carrying Pocket Watches! It is a treasure from our past and thank you for keeping it alive.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I, too, found this thread to be of particular interest....definitely food for thought....thanks guys....

Bought one a few years back to carry in my vest pocket. Suit coat vest type. The one I bought was kind of a set up. In that period of my life I mixed with some folk that let's say were kinda on the snobish side. Inevitably someone would ask the time, (my time to shine), I'd pull out my gold watch attached to my gold chain, and gaze at ole Mickey Mouse and tell them where the hands were pointing to. Some would hoot, some would scoff, I had a blast! Still have it. Cheap as dirt, but it still works!
    Mike K.
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

The ones by Swiss Army are waterproof as well.

Rusty <><

Blog Entries

I have one that I only take to Lodge meetings , my lodge jacket has a watch pocket in it so it won't get scratched. In my day ( old guy alert! ) all pants and jackets came with a watch pocket. Even blue jeans had a watch pocket.

I recieved a gold watch at my retirement dinner. I worked in the tower at the airport for 22 1/2 years. On the Day I retired I went out on the outer walkway above the ramp. The ramp crew all friends of mine and part of the crowd who bought me the watch, were just finishing up re-fueling the noon jet. I had put on an old beat up gold looking watch that had hung around the lost and found for at least 20 years. I yelled down to the guys Hey I am now officially no longer employed by anybody. As they cheered and offered yahoos and congratulations I yelled I guess I won't be needing this gold watch after all. I then flung it down on to the tarmac where it shattered. Shocked silence followed till someone picked up the cheapo watch and began to laugh. It was one of my biggest and best "GOTCHAS" ever.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

You may want to check out the Dakota pocket watches. They are great watches. I have been using one for a couple of years with no problems. I think most outdoor sporting stores have them.

Bill

I kill watches .... stop watch some call it .......... was even given a Seiko kinetic .... killed the capacitor .......... so ... I was hunting for a pocket watch as well. Found one last year at a flea market, 10 bucks, and had a great whitetail forest scene etched into the back. Well, it was worth 10 bucks too, but a bit of fidgeting and it keeps ok time (for a day). But ... I hardly use it. Go fishing before sunrise, stop when it gets warm. Then when it starts to cool off, start up again and stop when I can't tie on a fly any more ..........

good luck on your hunt ......... I'll be keeping an eye here to see what you might find ......

darrell,

I bought a waterproof wristwatch with a velcro band and keep it on my belt loop. I can't stand a band on my wrist, it's too dangerous doing construction work anyway. Also, I don't have to dig into a pocket to find it, just reach down and there it is.

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    Photojoe4,
    I just wanted to tell you sincerely, that your reply was a 'Pleasure' to read! What a Honor it is to hear from someone who is a expert about carrying Pocket Watches! It is a treasure from our past and thank you for keeping it alive.
    Doug

Doug, I'm far from an expert, but I am quite fond of them Another thing I forgot to point out is that the old "railroad" grade watches were/are really a lot more durable than most people realize- they were made to withstand the rigors of train travel, AND keep time to within 30 seconds a week! A "railroad" grade watch might be a bit pricey, though (most I've seen start at around $3-400). If you want just a nice mechanical pocket watch, I'd say you should look for a 15-17 jewel 16 or 18 size from the major U.S. makers (Elgin, Illinois, Hamilton, Waltham, Hampden, South Bend). You should probably also look for one that has either a base metal, stainlesss steel, or nickel silver (Silveroid, etc...) open face case. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Regards,
    Joe Martin

+ Reply to Thread