+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An Addition To My Tying Bench

Lansford PA. Not far from the Lehigh River

Default An Addition To My Tying Bench

I made this Turbo Dubbing Twister, after seeing Jim Smith's. I liked it so much that i'm thinking of making a few more for my friends and family. This one is made from clear grade Ash. It's an almost perfect grade hardwood, no knots, splits, cracks, etc. Beautiful wood. I sprayed it with 3 coats of clear enamel, then took the gloss off it. I think it looks better this way, than so shiny. One without any paint is really nice too. The block is 12 inches long by 3 5/8 inches wide by 1 5/8 inch thick. Each one weighs approximated 1 lb. 12 oz. There is a foam-type pad glued on the bottom to keep it from moving around on your tying bench. The dubbing brushes that this makes will be from 9 - 9 1/2 inches long. Plenty long enough to make a couple of bodies of a particular fly that you are tying, or one or two of a bigger fly.
    Each block has its own unique grain. No two will be the same. $30 each.
    If anyone is interested in one, kindly PM me, for an actual shipping cost.

THANK YOU.
    softhackler

You can just buy the Kit, for $15, plus actual shipping cost if you want, and assemble it yourself. All parts are NEW, as they are in the fully assembled ones i have for sale here. All that is needed to do to the wood block is a little sanding, and spray on the finish if you like, drill a couple of small holes, and install the hardware.

Thank You.

Default Re: An Addition To My Tying Bench

Softhackler,

Terrific job! I especially like the hardwood base. I know that the dubbing twister has proven to be one of the best additions to my bench in a long time. The dubbing brushes not only make a MUCH more durable fly, but they also open up loads of opportunity to get creative. I've found that since I started using dubbing brushes made from seal fur for my leech pattern bodies, I've quit tying wooly buggers entirely.

Anyway, great job and if anyone is still "thinking about" adding this tool to their fly tying bench, I'd say go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Jim Smith

+ Reply to Thread