+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New website selling fishing location info

Default Re: New website selling fishing location info

JC,

From to AofA website

"Our organization is 100% affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers (FFF). Supporting a fine organization like FFF helps support the Anglers through membership programs and FFF re-investment. Voting members of the Anglers are required to become members of FFF."

The hitch is "voting members." I'll have to ask Rusty what that really means.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I understand. We are not voting members, just regular ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinmich
    JC,
    The article is a regular blurb - not an advertisement. The exact words are "Part of the membership fee will go to the Federation of Fly Fishers as a donation." also re: the book sales, "Part of the proceeds from the book sales will also go to the federation."

I happen to think the FFF is a top drawer organization and I am a member (prerequsite for Anglers of the AuSable of which I also am a member). People reading this should make up their own minds whether the end justifies the means - if, in fact, they even need any justification. On some other sites I have seen the FFF criticized as to their fund raising practices including charging for yearly FFF instructor certification. I do not have a problem with that but some people seem to. But if people have trouble with the FFF instructor fees, they may certainly have trouble with this too.

I will scan the article and send it to you. I think the website requires you to be a member of something or another to get in. I was asked for a password which I assume costs money.

If this subject will be too controversial and gets away from the real purpose of the sight JC, please blow it away and accept my apology.

Bob Bolton
    Bob,
    Please accept my apology. I have had a rough day (there is no doubt tomorrow will be better!) You didn't do anything wrong and please continue to post.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Doug,

You didn't offend anyone. No apology required. If you can't speak your mind with friends, then where?

Bob

Bob - Is that the correct link? I looked up the domain and it isn't even registered.

To me this seems just like paying a guide to take you out and show you the spots... except without the guide. And a whole lot cheaper.

I'd never buy one though... part of the adventure is finding the good spots!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrat
    To me this seems just like paying a guide to take you out and show you the spots... except without the guide. And a whole lot cheaper.

I'd never buy one though... part of the adventure is finding the good spots!
    MikeBrat,
    It's about education, not about spots. Your right! finding fishing spots on our own is just like life, an adventure!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I got the scoop on the website - it's www.flyfishersguide.com and it's going live in a couple-three-four weeks. It won't sell GPS to any honeyholes - just GPS coordinates to Fishing Access Sites and campgrounds, etc.

From the actual article

"The Web site will offer detailed information on the best waters in each state, starting with detailed interactive maps of the waters. The site will show all of the access points along with GPS coordinates, cfs flows, public and priivate land, roads, hatch charts, current weather reports, detailed hub city inforrmation and USGS maps.

Each water has its own write-up, including how and when to fish it and links to the fly shops and sporting good stores that serve the river.

The site will offer periodic news articles from noted fly-fishing writers on the current fishing hot spots for each state. There will also be a chat room where avid fly fishers can exchange information and post photos about their latest fly-fishing experiences.

The site currently features 100 of the best blue ribbon waters in Montana and Colorado. Wilderness Adventures Press will be adding waters in Idaho, Wyoming, Oregon, Washington, Northern California, New Mexico, Utah and Arizona during the fall of 2007.

Charter memberships are $39.95.

The membership is good for the rest of 2007 and for all of 2008. Part of the membership fee will go to the Federation of Fly Fishers as a donaation. Please make sure that you enter our code - FFF - when you sign up.

The site will also offer all of the publisher's fly-fishing guides for sale. Part of the proceeds from book sales "lvill also go to the Federation.

Wilderness Adventures Press will be at the FFF Fly Fishing Show and Conclave at booth 21. Stop by to see a live display of its new Web site. Now people can easily find out about the best fly-fishing opportunities and plan their fishing trips online at www. flyfishersguide.com . " from "Flyfisher" magazine. Summer 2007

Bob Bolton

I have no problems with selling gps marked fish ing holes. I wonder how many fishermen get ripped off. If i am going some place new i post on this forum and I recieve all the info that I need. THANKS TO ALL THE GREAT FLY FISHERMAN ON THIS SITE

Standstall

+ Reply to Thread