+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Comparisons

Default Rod Comparisons

I'm considering buying a new rod. I currently have a lower end St. Croix Premier series rod. I like it well enough and cast pretty well with it, but the bug is biting me to upgrade and get a new rod.

Three that I'm considering are Winston WT, Scott G2 and the Orvis Trout Bum series. This is based largely on reading about them. I did get to fish with a G2 a little bit with a guide on a recent trip and really liked that rod. My son has a Cabelas Stow Away 5 piece rod and I like casting his rod quite a bit. I'm finding that I tend to lean toward a slower action rod. Something about feeling the rod load and the slower pace of casting the softer rods is pleasing to me. I do sometimes cast larger poppers and some bead head buggers, but nothing outrageously heavy.

I know side by side casting is the best way. However the local shop carries Scott and Sage but does not carry Winston or Orvis. Another shop that I've been to has Orvis and Winston, but does not carry Scott so I cannot really compare side by side.

In the Winston line, I'd also like to try out the BII-T rods as well.

Any thoughts on these rods? Any personal experience and suggestions for these or others I should consider?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Rod Comparisons

My opinion is get the Winston. You'll love it.

Not familiar with the orvis trout bums, but i have a super fine 3 wt and wouldn't give it up for anything else i have cast.

I think you might really treat yourself,,, check out some cane rods.

Hard to go wrong with any of those manufactures.

I was recently fishing with my Brother-in-law. I was using an old Sage 8'-9" 5 wt GFL (I love that rod) and my brother-in-law was using a Scott 9' 5wt. I fished his rod for a while and can honestly say I liked it even more than more than my Sage. Scott also has a unconditional guarantee.

Also as JC mentioned above, you may want to consider a bamboo rod. I have two of L C Park's rods that cost about the same as a top flight graphite. They have terrific action and very nice cosmetics.

Scott

I too enjoy a slower full flex action. I think the Cabela's Stowaway is an amazing rod for it's low price.

For a higher end rod I would go with the Winston LT over the WT. I own a 3wt LT and I love it, my friend has the WT and I think it is a little too soft. I find it difficult to use in the wind where I really want to punch the line out.

Just like test driving some new cars.......

You'll know it when you cast it.

Test out a bunch.

Try being honest with one of the shops. Go to the place with the Sage & Scott and decide which you like best. Then tell the shop that you would like to take it out to try against the Orvis & Winston. If you like theirs best they have a sale, and if not they have a customer that appreciated them. Maybe buy the reel and line from the shop that lets you take out a rod. If the 1st shop says no, then try the second. The worst thing that can happen is that they both say no. With the chance to sell a $400+ rod, you may be surprised.

My local shop ordered 3 different 3wt's for me to try. Good luck.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by raw69
    Try being honest with one of the shops. Go to the place with the Sage & Scott and decide which you like best. Then tell the shop that you would like to take it out to try against the Orvis & Winston. If you like theirs best they have a sale, and if not they have a customer that appreciated them. Maybe buy the reel and line from the shop that lets you take out a rod. If the 1st shop says no, then try the second. The worst thing that can happen is that they both say no. With the chance to sell a $400+ rod, you may be surprised.

My local shop ordered 3 different 3wt's for me to try. Good luck.

How about $600+.

Thanks for the tip. The local guy may let me do that as I shop there pretty frequetnly (couple reels, line, tippet spools, leaders, flies, etc.). I wish he carried Winston as one of his rod lines as I'd have to shop no farther. Oh well, it's a small shop and there's only so much money he can have tied up in inventory. I think he fishes Sage personally and stocks their line and he seems to have a very high opinion of Scott as well (yes, he carries Scott). When I asked him about Winston, he said they're great rods and suggested I cast a few to make up my mind (and he did add "and come here to buy the Scott.. )

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread