+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Information on Sommerset Penn area fishing

Default Information on Sommerset Penn area fishing

I will be on vacation in the Sommerset Penn area and would like some information on fishing in the local area.

Default Re: Information on Sommerset Penn area fishing

Robert,

I grew up in Somerset County, my parents still live there and I fish in the area half a dozen times a year. Help me out with some details and I'll try and point you in the right direction. When are you going? Where, at least in general terms, are you staying? And do you have any spacific interests, like trout vs warm water, etc? Lot's of options exist so if you'll help me better understand what you want to do I'll try and steer you in the right direction.
    Joe Bertolini

I'll be there next week stay in a condo at Hidden Valley resort. I'm open to all types of fishing just want something close. I mainly fish warmwater, but don't mind river fishing for trout.

Robert,

Here's a few of choices, arranged by distance (distances are my best guess):

1 - Laurel Hill Creek (4 miles) near the Boy Scout Camp just outside Bakersville. Leave Hidden Valley and return to Rt 31. Turn Right and go down the mountain. Just as you come into Bakersville you'll pass the fire hall on the right. Just past the fire hall and across from a gas station/quick mart, turn right. You'll go past a high fenced area and continue straight on through the Boy Scout Camp. Just past the Chapel will be several pull offs for parking on the left side of the road. You should be able to see the creek. This stretch from the Scout Camp to the Laurel Hill Lake is all Delayed Harvest/Artifical Lure only. I've been pretty successful in this stretch. Try small (sz 1 black ants, emergers, caddis, BWO, etc. Nymphing can be productive as well with beadhead caddis emergers, larvae, prince nymphs, pheasant tails, etc.

2 - Indian Creek (4 miles). Leave Hidden Valley and return to Rt 31. Turn left and go over the mountain. At the bottom, before you come to the small town of Jones Mill, Rt 381 will come in from the right. Turn Right and park at the first bridge from there up to the next bridge (2.5 miles) is also Delayed Harvest/Artifical Lure only.

3 - Laurel Hill Creek (18 Miles?) near the covered bridge at Humbert. This is off Rt 281 near Ursina, PA. also a Delayed Harvest/Artifical Lure only area. Use one of the mapping programs to give the the best route from Hidden Valley to 281.

4 - Youghiogeny River (20 Miles) (called the Yough by locals, pronounced just like Jock except with a "Y" instead of a "J") at Confluence PA. From the dam down stream as far as your willing to walk. River is parrelled by a bike trail. Bike, canoe and raft rentals available in Confluence right on the river. Good for both trout and smallmouth.

5 - Meadow Run in Ohiopyle (20 Miles). Follow Rt 381 South at Jones Mill (over by Indian Creek) Rt 381 will take you right into Ohiopyle. Great place for White Water Raft Trips, view of the great falls of the Yough and the home of Frank Loyde Wrights "Falling Water"). Great fishing if the waters not too low, very, very pretty.

6 - Lastly, Beaver Creek (22 Miles). Just outside Ohiopyle on Dinner Bell Pike. Check them out on the WEB at beavercreekanglers.com/index.htm Friend of mine is the stream manager (Daryl Bassett). It's a pay to play place but he's got fish up to 30 inches in the stream, cost is $75.00 day. They can be tough to catch and I've had slow days there but it's well run and a beautiful place. When the fish are hitting it's tremendous!

If the water is low, I'd fish the Yough. If there is some flow then any of the places listed will produce fish.

That should give you some choices, good luck! Let me know how you do.
    Joe Bertolini

Thanks for the information

i have to agree with alra for the trout fishing. now if you want to try for some bass with the flygear there are some nice choices in the same area. the laurel hill creek he mentioned and casselman river are good for bass in the low sections. both of these are found in Confluence, PA.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39. ... &layer=DRG

the yough river (Youghiogeny) is nice to fish here because its a bottom flow dam and has cold water year round. the Connelsville area and down river is good bass water along with muskie and walleye.

http://www.wilderness-voyageurs.com/fly%20fishing.htm

http://www.laurelhighlandsguideservices.com/index.htm

with the low clear water we have the yough is your best bet or the beaver creek option would be good too.

+ Reply to Thread