+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pfleuger Medalist reels.

Default Re: Pfleuger Medalist reels.

I just bought a 1594RC for about $50 and so far I love it. The drag is very smooth. When I peel out line for casting it comes off easily but without overshooting and creating a bird's nest of fly line on the reel.

I noticed on my old cheap reel that if I reeled in fly line that was hanging loose off the reel I'd get a lot of open loose loops that would then tangle. With the Medalist I don't have that problem.

I'm very happy with mine. And at only $50 or less depending on the model you can't beat the price.

I should say, that I'm very much a newbie fly fisherman and there are probably features and "feel" to the better reels that I don't know about or understand. But for me, this reel works out just fine.

Like someone said - reel type is personal preference. Most of the responses have been favorable toward the medalist. I had a medalist from the early 1970's when I bought it new. I used it for many years - I broke a reel seat and tracked down the parts to repair it. Must be about 6 or 7 years ago, I retired it. While I like the medalist a lot, it is inferior to more modern reels and this was the main reason that I retired it. I found that my newer reels (and these were not overly expensive) had better drags, palming spool design, and were lighter. I feel better able to handle that 20+ trout with my newer reels. Yes, I could do it with the medalist but it is easy to get outmatched.

i gotta old one and a newer one. fished with both. good reels

I've got one of the 'Pfleuger' made Orvis Madisons that I have been using for 25 years or so and it was by no means new when I got it. I'd use it even more if I could find spare spools for it.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Twice I thought I'd upgrade and both times I erred. I'll take the Pfleuger over the fancier reels. Good price, and it's not my fault where they're made. JGW

I've been using the same Medalist 1494 purchased in 1972. Back then I purchased 4 spare spools. I may buy some more extra spools if they fit. I also visisted the Fayettville plant back then when attending school nearby

+ Reply to Thread