+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orvis knotless leaders

Default Orvis knotless leaders

I've always used Orvis knotless leaders, but this year I noticed a considerable change in them. They seem more brittle and prone to things like curling and kinking. Is anyone aware of why this might be? I have always been satisfied with these leaders, but I'm about to change brands unless I figure this out.

For the details:
    I buy new leaders every few months
    Usually get 9ft. 5x Mono

Default Re: Orvis knotless leaders

I don't buy orvis anymore, not because of any particular compliant, but due to the cost. I go through leaders pretty quickly it seems and I like to fish new leaders when I do get to go on the river. So I have started buying the White River (store brand from bass pro). They aren't notted, but it only takes a second to through on a perfection loop and get going. I can usually buy two leaders for the price of one orvis leader. So that is the way that I go. I haven't had any problems with White River thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by misterpaul
    They seem more brittle and prone to things like curling and kinking. Is anyone aware of why this might be?
    Sounds like they've been in the sun
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I use Orvis leaders. I have not noticed a difference yet. But I have not bought any in the last 4 months. I tie my own for warm water and only use the Trout (4x) leaders.

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

I've noticed that with there nylon leaders, as well. Not so much that they're brittle but they never seem to straighten out. The Mirage Fluro is a bit better but it doesn't straighten out all that well either. You might want to try the Frog's Hair leaders. They're a bit pricey but they're well worth it.

Dudley, these leaders haven't been in the sun since I've owned them. Quite the opposite, actually. I took a brand new leader with me last Saturday and it was awful. I cut off about 12 inches and tied on my own 5x tippet. The first fish I landed wasn't anything significant, but landing it produced a curl in the last 4 inches of the leader. The tippet was fine, though.
    This isn't a new development, either. The last 3 I bought and used this year have had problems. One just kept breaking off and the other two would never stay straight. Every time I fought a fish, the leader would get more and more curled.

Midge Man, I will have to try the White River brand. I live one mile due west of the original store here in Springfield, Missouri, so I'll just run up there this weekend.

I bought some last week and they are just fine. Not brittle and the leaders straighten out perfectly. You may have a dealer with a supply that was damaged, excess heat or what ever. I would look for another source of supply for the Orvis leaders.

RoyC

Try boiling your leaders for 5 min. It makes them stretch when you set the hook. I learned from the world fly fishing champ from Portugal.

Ive used orvis leaders for ten years now and used them with my clients when I was guiding but it seems like in the last few years things have got real inconsistant at Orvis. Its to the point thta I tore up my guides pro card and will not buy orvis anymore.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

I guess you can get a bad run of anything...but this is nothing new...years ago I bought an Orvis leader kit to tie my own...all spools were just about worthless they broke so easily just constructing the leaders....at least I didn't fish them....

Then Orvis came out with the Super-Strong and I found them quite good.

+ Reply to Thread