+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Southwest Montana

Default Southwest Montana

I will be in Stevensville MT July 19 till July 27th. I know there is good fishing all around there but I am wondering if it is a good Idea to drive 2 hours each way to try to catch a grayling on the bighorn river near Wisdom. I would love to catch a cutthroat and I think I may get a chance in the Bitteroot. I am wondering what the likely hood that I could also catch a grayling. This is a family vacation but there will also be time to fish. Anyone experienced fishing this area?
    Thanks, Jeff

I have heard of a much better place to catch them than that and it's a lot closer. Some lake up on Skalkaho. I'll try to find out a little more info.

Jeff,
    I envy you. I spent parts of eight or nine summers in the Bitterroot back in the late 70s and the 80s. Wish I could go again. Sorry I don't have any up to date info, but I was there too long ago. I hope you have a great time.
    Not that it has anything to do with this, but I almost bought a Poodle puppy from a breeder in Stevensville a few months ago

Bob

------------------
    There is a fine line between fly fishing, and standing in the water waving a stick.

birddog -
    I don't know that I'd try to catch grayling on the bighorn near Wisdom, as the bighorn river is much further east. I am sure you intended to say the Big Hole, which is near Wisdom, MT. However, due to poor drought conditions, the Upper Big Hole grayling have really suffered the past several years. You are much more likely to catch grayling in any number of MT lakes that have the fish. The Big Hole is a great river, but if you are planning on going just to fish the upper reaches for grayling, you may come away disappointed. Cutthroat are in many of the rivers and lakes in SW Montana, and you should not have much difficulty catching some of them.

Thanks for straightening me out.
    Yes I had the wrong river. Any lakes by where I'll be staying have Grayling?
    Jeff

birddog -
    I am not that familiar with the Stevensville area as far as lake fishing is concerned, though someone else here may be able to help. Certainly the Missoula area fly shops would be able to offer some advice on grayling in the area. You can also check on [url=http://www.fwp.state.mt.us:aab65]www.fwp.state.mt.us[/url:aab65] under fishing, and type in the name of lakes in the area to find what types of fish they have in them. The closest lake I know of with plentiful grayling is Heart Lake near Lincoln, MT. It requires a hike to get into the lake also, but has tons of grayling. There is another lake near Helena you can drive to with tons of grayling, but its closed this year for repair to the earthen dam. I expect you can find something closer to Stevensville by asking around the area.

+ Reply to Thread