+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help for Hilton Head in mid July please

Default Help for Hilton Head in mid July please

We are heading to Hilton Head from July 7th to 14th, & I am determined to catch my 1st saltwater species on the fly from the beach & have several questions.

1) I have a 9' 7wt Orvis TLS with a Lamson Radius reel & a 9' 6wt Sage VT2 with a Battenkill Barstock.....neither outfit is saltwater outfitted. Is it safe to use them in the salt? Cleaning recommendations?

2) Suggested flies? Keep 'em simple as I'm not yet what you would call a decent tyer.

3) At this time of year is it even worth trying? I've heard the water is "bathtub warm". I'm guessing very early, very late, & possibly at night.

4) I am not planning on targeting a specific species, anyone know what may be available?

Thanks for any help,
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Default Re: Help for Hilton Head in mid July please

just tagging along, i may be there in sept
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

ohiotuber...........
    If you fish at night, you might end up the bait. That is when the Tiger Sharks, (which are quite common there), do their hunting.
    FFF Life Member #22

Mike,

Rinse the rod and reel off in fresh water, under a hose or faucet. Don't blow alot of pressure on it, just a good rinse out. When your finished for the week, soak it in some warm water at home and agatate a little bit with your hand to free up any final specs of dirt.

I'm heading down there in August. I was told to fish the surf. I believe there are Drum and Specs there during the summer months. Could be wrong about the species but I would bet you'll find fish.

I don't know any specific flies, but Clousers are usually good to try almost anywhere. If you want, PM me with your snail-mail address and I'll send you a few.

PS - don't forget to say AAARRRGGGHHH a few times as you approach the surf. It's what any pirate would do.

jed

Jed,
    Thanks for the offer...you have a PM.
    I am really excited about the possibility of salt water success.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I used to do a lot of fishing in the salt creeks at the next resort island to the north of Hilton Head (that'd be Parris Island).

Seriously, if you have a boat and go out in the Broad River in July August the Cobia will be in to spawn -- lay out a chum bag and drag your flies through the slick. If you are in the creeks, anything on the bottom should work - crab flies, shrimp flies, clousers... will all work for specks and spottails (puppy drum).

The bugs can be tough - sand fleas and mosquitos. Wear long sleeves, and the best bug deterrent when you are back in the salt marsh is Avon's "Skin so Soft" -- it's real oily and the bugs can't bite you through it.
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

Where you stay will determine the areas available to fish and the type of fishing you can get in to. The island is broken up in to numerous plantations and all have restricted access.

All of the lagoons in the plantations are fishable, some are fresh, with bass and gills but most are salt and you never know, from flounder to reds to tarpon. The lagoons can be the most productive and most fun to fish. The outfits you have will do just fine and small clousers will work well. Use rust/orange colors as well as the tried and true white/chartruse.

Just off the island is Lowcountry Outfitters, stop and see Travers and he will help you out. Great selection of local flies and knowledge as well as guide service.

The surf is very low, the beaches are protected by an offshore reef, and very fishable but hit and miss.

Sorry, forgot to mention one very important point. The fresh water lagoons are loaded with gators so leave your tube home.

take tube if u see shark tube fast.

Wow, I haven't visited the salty board in a long time. Well Tuber did ya have any luck on the Salt? Last I heard you had ran over inland to Jim's for some fresh water. The gators was there too I heard...lol Susan and I got married and headed down south as well. we went to Myrtle Beach for a week. I just got to Jealouse when I found out you and Jim was enjoying all that nice warm weather and sunny Beaches. i didn't fly fish in the salt so I was wondering how ya did? Maybe get some pointers from ya...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

+ Reply to Thread