+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One fly to rule them all....

Default Re: One fly to rule them all....

How about a Hornberg. Fish it dry, its a caddis, fish it wet its a streamer. I've had great luck with it this year. Other than that GRHE is always a nice choice or the Elk Hair Caddis this time of year and the Griffith's gnat later.

Ooops so much for my one fly theory. Proably why I carry several fly boxes with me.

je

Mine is the always dependable olive and black "Wooly Bugger" tied with weighted eyes, Clouser style. Sizes 6-14. My second choice is a bead head "Orange Soft Hackle". Sizes 14-18
    I've never met a fish I didn't like

My opinion is the Whitlock japanese and black beetles. I have always yes I said always had good production on deer hair beetle patterns

Quote Originally Posted by fishin' chewy
    My opinion is the Whitlock japanese and black beetles. I have always yes I said always had good production on deer hair beetle patterns
    This is supposed to be one fly year around. A beetle?

Believe it or not, for me it would be a #14, #16 or #18 Stimulator. I know it's generally thought of as a western pattern, but it has been incredibly effective for me here in PA as a searching pattern. Last year I was frustrated fishing a midge hatch. The midges that were hatching were probably a size #28 or maybe even #30. The trout continually refused the smallest midge patterns I had, which were #26. I decided to just try something stupid in the hopes that there might be a dumb fish out there and I tied on a #14 Stimulator. The fish actually went crazy for it. I ended up catching a fourteen inch rainbow on that fly that day. Believe me, there was nothing even close to that size or profile hatching on that stream that day, and there surely wasn't anything that color (it had a flo. orange body with a flo. lime green head).

-Darryl
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

when I am able to fish it is usually during the warmer times of the year, and I am one of a very few people that uses a fly rod in the area. For a year-round fly I like olive colored Clousers in central Indiana. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

sorry double post

My go to fly in recent years has been one that I read about in a Dave Hughes' magazine article. It's nothing but a bead head on a scud hook with a fuzzy bright olive fur dubbed body ribbed with gold wire and a fuzzy dubbed black fur head. I'm sure it is meant to imitate a caddis larva, but it just looks like a bug and has worked in just about every situation.
    Joe

Borcher's parachute would be my one fly.

+ Reply to Thread