+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not ff related, but was wondering if anyone used heat

Default Not ff related, but was wondering if anyone used heat

treatment as an alternative to Vykane (sp?) fumigation of your house for termites. My wife and I are concerned not just for our health and safety, but our kids and neighbors. I read about using heat as an alternative. I contacted a company that specializes in this treatment. I was hoping that someone here has gone through the treatment. If so, can you give me your thoughts?

Many thanks.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Default Re: Not ff related, but was wondering if anyone used heat

DDT is now being authorized to rid Africa of Malaria. Sometimes it is better to get rid of the pest and do your best to cope with the any possible side affects. I try to be very cautious and safe when it comes to riding my vinyard of the dreaded Japanese Beetle. I too am concerned about health and side affects of using a strong and potentially harmful chemical to rid me of their blight. I have tried everything from sour milk, to knocking them off the vine and stepping on them (this method is popular with large vinyards, migrate help is used) and the all too popular "Japanese Beetle Trap. The trap actually attracts the critters, they are sometimes so thick they are flying into the trap as I am setting it up. I am more concerned about the ones that are attracted but don't get into the trap. I still have to resort to chemicals and these have to be applied more than once a season. For Termites:
    Non-toxic treatments include use of nematodes (microscopic worms), especially for chemically-sensitive individuals or environmentally-sensitive areas. Nematodes are pumped into the infested area, where they will kill the insects. Boric acid bait blocks can be placed around the structure, where they will attract the pests to consume termiticides without broad application of chemicals. Drywood termites can be treated with thermal )heat}, freezing, or electrical eradication techniques. Desiccating dusts, non-toxic substances resulting in pest dehydration and death, have also been used successfully on drywood termites. You might investigate the "heat" stratagy, it sounds like it may be affedctive for Dry Wood Termites only? More than likely you are dealing with "Wet Wood" termites. There are three types in the USA, Dry, Wet and Formosa. The Formosa is very aggressive and becoming more and more prevelant. I went through all this in my Oregon home over 10 years ago. We located the nest and toxic chemicaled them to termite heaven (or hell). I still have all my vitals and no giant growths are forming on my body. The state of California is very savy and extremely cautious when it comes to dealing with pest chemicals and eradication. I suggest you check on line with the State of California Pest (Vector) control. They should provide good and accurate information on how and what to do in your case, not to mention providing a list of reputable companies in your area. What ever you choose, best of luck and I hope you are sucessful.

By the way...you should have started your post " I was sitting at my bench and creating this magnificant fly that reminded me of a termite...oh yeah, and speaking of termites.......

Jonezee

Default Re: Not ff related, but was wondering if anyone used heat

Jonezee,

Thanks for the info. I am dealing with drywood termites, so the heat treatment should do the trick. I'll give the state of CA website a look.

By the way...you should have started your post " I was sitting at my bench and creating this magnificant fly that reminded me of a termite...oh yeah, and speaking of termites.......
    That would have been a better way to introduce my question.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread