+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Airline Rules

Default Airline Rules

I am heading to the Bahamas next week. Can I still carry on my fly-rods or do I have to check them with the luggage. They are 4-piece rods. Thanks, Norm

Default Re: Airline Rules

The one constant Norm is that there is no consistency whatsoever. It depends on the day, the screener you pass by, the gate agent and the lead flight attendant. Lots of variables in that for sure. I will say this however, in the last 6 months I have flown at least 8 times with fly rods (4-piece) that I carried on the plane in a plastic tube typce case with a cloth covering. I had no problems whatsoever on any of those flights. I even saw guys coming on the plane with rods in those aluminium tubes which I think should be illegal as they are no different than carrying a baseball bat on the plane. I do know guys however that were told they could not carry the rods aboard so you just never know.

Pack them properly in a hard case, include your name and address INSIDE the tube AND OUTSIDE the tube plus your destination and contact number and be ready to planeside check them last minute if asked. Do not ask anyone if you can bring them aboard, just look like you know what you are doing and go and it's likely you will have no problems whatsoever.

Thanks alot!!!

Norm

you jight also read here has some info on TSA regarding fishing equipment hope this helps
    Tom
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... _1188.shtm

Keep in mind when reading the TSA guidelines (link posted above) that I printed these out and handed them to the guys at my airport and they laughed at them. Their comment was "I don't care what the website says, we will not permit ANY flies to be carried on board as the hook are dangerous."

I had a trip to Puerto Rico a couple of months back and took my 908-4 with me on the plane. I put my rod in a cardboard mailing tube and carrried it on the plane. No one asked or made me place it in the hold. All my flies with the exception of a dozen were place in my luggage (just in case my suit case didn't arrive with me). Upon arriving at San Juan Int., there was a gentleman that had a small clothe covered rod case awaiting a return flight - he didn't hook up he said. Of course, in my suitcase had my mulitpurpose tool, hemos and folding knife.

Rules ??? The TSA DON?T NEED NO STINKING RULES !!!
    FFF Life Member #22

I was told that Bahamas is "NOT" TSA-jurisdictional so don't go by what TSA has posted.
    I carried on my reels and put my rods in my luggage. Also TSA locks are not useful outside the US from what the Bahamians told me.

Striper33

I just got back from the Bahamas. I decided not to try to carry on my rods. I bought a plastic singe rifle case from Gander Mountain and cut out the foam padding so my 2 rods fit snuggly. I put zip ties on it to keep it closed. When I arrived in Ft. Lauderdale Fl. , my luggage came out, but no fly-rods. I went to lost luggage and they were waiting there for me. Baggage handlers thought it was a firearm. That gave me a little scare. They never cut off the zip ties. We then got on a cruise ship and checked them again. They arrive just fine. No one ever cut the zip ties off. I had no problems at all on the way home.

Norm

P.S. I am now addicted to bone-fishing!!!!!! That was Awesome!!!!!

Good to hear you had a good time Norm and I'm not surprised that you are now a Bonefish junkie : )

You may find that as you travel your choice of rod cases will be an issue. TSA and the airline will be skeptical of the gun case and it can also draw unwanted attention from others even though you have no firearms in it. You may want to look at getting a rod case or just go with PVC at some point. Just a suggestion from this travel tired angler.

+ Reply to Thread