+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Island Royale trout fishing

Default Island Royale trout fishing

I'm planning a trip to the Island Royale NP for the first 2 weeks of June. I was completely unable to find any information in the web about trout fishing in the inland waters of the IRNP.
    Has someone from the board fished there before? What rivers/lakes are better to give a try?
    I'm planning to bring few flies (all what can fit in a sinlge fly box), since I will be back packing. I appreciate any help

Martin
    "And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world" Satchmo

Default Re: Island Royale trout fishing

I did a google search on 'Isle Royale +fishing' and got many, many hits. The first 2 are "Isle Royale National Park Hiking and Fishing Page" & "GORP - Isle Royale National Park, Michigan".
    I haven't been there, but my brother went to school at Michigan Tech, and I believe he did go there. One thing I remember is that you MUST take a water purifier. Lots of nasty critters in the water on the island. Hope this helps.

Mike

Default Re: Island Royale trout fishing

Mgreeti,

Thanks for the feedback! I have also searched the web and all what I found was about warm water fishing in the inland lakes. It seems that there is a good pike and walleye fishing up there. However, I was more interested in fishing for brook trouts in the inland creeks. I only found that the NP website mention something like... "in some creeks there are also brook trouts" I was wondering in which creeks are trout and if it is worthy to carry the rod with me. It'll be several days of backpacking.... and I don't want to carry any extra weight.
    Regarding to the water purifier, yes, we are prepare for that. Thanks, again for the tips

Martin
    "And I think to myself .....what a wonderful world" Satchmo

+ Reply to Thread