+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wrapping a green blank

Default Wrapping a green blank

I have a beautiful green blank that is not much different than a Winston in color.

I need some ideas about what shades of thread to wrap it.

I will use 4 turns of silver thread as tipping, as the rod will have all chrome parts.

I have some dark green Gudebrod size A thread, but I thought color preserved light green would look sharp, but no one seems to make light green thread.

Bill

Default Re: Wrapping a green blank

If you tip with silver, your choices are more limited. I find that green blanks do well with combinations of tan and/or chestnut with a black tipping.

You might want to consider Gudebrod #6779 med. Green.

Either way some test wraps on the grip section are always a good way to see how various threads look on the blank.

Hope this helps

Tampa Jim,

Good idea.

Do you mean with or without color preserver?

Bill

I don't use CP, I use NCP thread. The only time that I use regular nylon, is for translucent (stealth) wraps that I want to "disappear" into the blank.

You get a much better bond without CP - it costs me money, and reputation points, to see a rod once it leaves - so I do everything possible to ensure solid construction, NCP thread and no CP is one of those things.

Any doubts ... do a wrap my way and one with CP, let them sit for a week and then see which one you can remove easiest.

If you want to see what it will look like with epoxy on it. Wrap a section, no guides, just thread - apply vegetable oil to the wraps - POOF, instant preview and it cleans right up.

TJ -

Before you decide on a color, be sure you take the blank out side in the bright sun and look at its color. I built a SCIV that looks green inside but somewhat blue outside. My color selection is somewhat off but it still catches fish

Quote Originally Posted by Arkriver
    Before you decide on a color, be sure you take the blank out side in the bright sun and look at its color. I built a SCIV that looks green inside but somewhat blue outside. My color selection is somewhat off but it still catches fish
    The first SCIV I did I used green and got the same result as you.
    On the next one I ordered a spool of thread from St Croix. "Legand Teal" I think they called it....its what they use on that series.

My suggestion would be medium or dark green thread (with color preserver) and white tipping (two or three turns). You could use regular or NCP white for the tipping.

For what it is worth, I did a SCIV and used a black thread with gold tipping. Looked so good I decided to build another and use gold guides.

+ Reply to Thread