+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Under-wader pants

Default Re: Under-wader pants

I just wear a pair of mid weight fleece pants under mine. I bought them years ago at old navy on close out for like $5
    I wear them year round and they are pretty comfortable. I can't stand wearing just shorts in the summer - the breathable fabric of the waders kind of clings to your bare skin - plus that might not be so good on the breathable material. Cotton sweats - if you sweat even a little bit feel really clammy. Fleece is the answer for me.

Greg

I have found that uniform pants such as the Dickie brand work pants make excellent fishing clothes.
    They are 2/3 polyester, 1/3 cotton, are highly breathable, and are stain and wrinkle resistant.
    I started out wearing them while canoeing because they were quick drying. While fishing I would often rest my paddle on my legs when making a cast. I found other pants would get soaked and stay wet while the work pants dried quick and stayed warm. I found that under waders they worked much the same and didn't hold a "funk" like other materials
    They may not be as "cool" as official fishing pants, but they serve the same purpose and are cheap.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Thanks to all for your responses. Looks like at least a couple will fit the bill.

Gringo - if you need any more of those Cabela's pants, you better stock up - I went to check them out and learned they are discontinuing them.......

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Wulff
    I like the Reddington (a sponser here) Topwater pants. They normally sell for $38.00, but the Rogue Fly Shop (http://www.rogueflyshop.com/Fly+Fishing) has them for $27.95. They're comfortable, look good, and are ideal under a pair of breathable waders.

I am going with the Redington also. I like the zip off leg feature and they are actually long enough for me.
    They dry out quick also. Plus a pair of thin skins underneath, I wear them in the winter.
    No sweat pants....hency the name....

MNfisher - I know, after I bought mine they put them on sale, only a little bit cheaper by four or five bucks but I was more disappointed that they were going out of them. At least I have five pairs, should keep me going for a while. I prefer them to the columbia for comfort. In fact I am heading into the mountains tomorrow for three days and I'll still wear the same light weight pants with some long undies to keep warm.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Ex-Officio "Amphi-pants"

You can get 'em on-line at F/C page 99 - check them out.
    PM me if you don't understand above reference and I'll tell ya where.
    I have nothing but praise for that product. Quality AND a lot nicer that the Redingtons.
    Ok, $$$ - but you generally get what you pay for.

I got a pair or Reddington Versi-pants last year and they lasted all of 10 minutes
    on stream before one of the leg zippers broke. That made for a less than comfortable day.

Needless to say, after that experience, I'm less than thrilled with Redington clothing.
    I should learn to keep receipts.....
    just MO for what it may be worth to you.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sib
    Ex-Officio "Amphi-pants"

You can get 'em on-line at F/C page 99 - check them out.
    PM me if you don't understand above reference and I'll tell ya where.
    I have nothing but praise for that product. Quality AND a lot nicer that the Redingtons.
    Ok, $$$ - but you generally get what you pay for.

I got a pair or Reddington Versi-pants last year and they lasted all of 10 minutes
    on stream before one of the leg zippers broke. That made for a less than comfortable day.

Needless to say, after that experience, I'm less than thrilled with Redington clothing.
    I should learn to keep receipts.....
    just MO for what it may be worth to you.

Greg

Ex Officio are GREAT. Orvis use to own it but they went out on their own. The UV and Buzz-off Shirts are the best.
    The only problem I had with the pants is the length. I guess I am not suppose to be 5'8" with a 34/36" inseam.
    The Redington are the only ones that come close.

F/C now offers the Ex-Officio Amphi-pants in a 30 inch inseam.
    That's perfect for me

The 32 inch inseam was a little long for me and I'm 6 foot.

The button-closure cuff with elastic loop is a nice touch that keeps the pant leg from riding up
    when you put on your waders

+ Reply to Thread