+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What should I do?

Where would I go to find the 'Common Cents' system? Looking back at your post I realized I didnt know what it is.

Not trying to be smart or insulting but are you sure that you have the line on the reel correctly. You could be trying to cast the running line instead of the belly. --?? - Just a thought.

The line being on backwards would certainly cause problems. The running line behind the WF taper is very light, and level. Compare the line diameter 15 feet from each end. The business end will be noticeably larger in diameter.

------------------
    Joe

Ok I rechecked all the guides 1 tip 8 guides and 1 stripper. All smooth and straight. I stood on the line and pulled up on the rod...no sharp angles except at the tip. The line is on correctly too. SO...that leaves the line and the actual weight of the rod. I'm thinking its the wrong weight rod. So on to a cheap 6wt line to see if that works better then the 4wt. Thanks again guys I'll keep you posted!

Good luck Tim,

Bit of a "downer" to not have the rod jump into your mitts like an old friend shaking your hand, but you'll learn a lot about the rod and the physics of sending a tiny speck of fur, feathers and tinsel out ther 40-60 ft.

Not a simple task (try THROWING a fly, see how far it'll go )

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:d8509]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:d8509]
    Christopher Chin

Tim,
    Try and find a shop or someone with a good quality line to try. Cheap lines will only lead to further confusion.
    Let the focus be on the rod.
    A.

------------------
    When the experts disagree,the ignorant are free to choose.

Sorry to dig up my old post but I thought I would let you guys know what came of my rod that "wasn't working". After lawn casting it for about 1/2 an hour I have come to the conclusion...its the caster not the rod!!! After looking at my backcast I noticed I'm not loading the rod, its only half way threw the backcast when I'm starting to muscle my forward cast. The problem is that I need to adjust my casting speed and get used to the physical weight of this rod compaired to my 2wt 6' TFO rod. Are these Forecast rods considered fast? If so I'm going to need a faster rod. I was able to slow my cast down and thats when it really started to shine! But it felt very awkward due to my casting style. However I did notice(although I need more practice) that after letting the rod load when I progress to the foreward cast the line stalls out sometimes. I'm sure I just need some more practice thats all. But other wise I was able to shoot out 40' casts a couple of times once I slowed down a bit. So thats my update, just thought I'd let you guys know how it went!

[This message has been edited by Tim S (edited 22 June 2005).]

Following along this post I also wonder if in your casting you use too much wrist. Since you have missed your timing on the back-cast, the usual response when you "throw yourself into the water" is to extend your arm too far forward and use too much wrist. The resulting cast usually goes about 30ft and then collapses in a pile. How tight is your loop? I would like to see it about 12" or 18" only.

Tim....finding the Common Cents System...
    on FAOL home page click on "Keyword Search" and enter Common Cents System......or better yet....on the home page...clik on Features...then scroll down and click on "Rodbuilding" and the first item on the left is the system.

Please post the answer to your line problem.

Thanks.

Jim

POJ, read my above post. The rod works fine it was me and my lack of practice with the rod. Its heavier, longer and slower then my 2wt 6' TFO. I was trying to cast it like the TFO and it didnt like that. So with more practice I'll be casting much better.

+ Reply to Thread