+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bois brule this time of year

Default bois brule this time of year

I've never fished the bois brule (northwest Wisconsin) and am completely unfamiliar with it. Is there a time in the summer when the fishing, because of the heat, slows down significantly? I'm thinking of going up this week. I'd like to camp stream side. Any suggestions would be very much aprreciated. Brad

[This message has been edited by brad kansas (edited 21 June 2005).]

Brad, are you talking about the Bois Brule' SW of Jefferson City that dumps into the Osage around Henley? Or is there another one?

Vic

The one in northwest Wisconsin.

Well Brad, there are 2 state campgrounds that are right on the river. One is called Copper Range, and the other is Bois Brule Campground. Both are rather rustic and first come first served. Both are very nice campgrounds. As for the fishing it is always good, or at least it has been for me. The one major problem with this river in the summer is the aluminum hatch, Canoers and Kayaks every 3 minutes on the weekends and just a little bit less during the week. Still, the fish don't seem to mind, perhaps they're used to them. My suggestion is to rent a canoe and fish the two lakes at night. There are some mighty big fish in there and they say that they are very active at night. When you arrive get a map and you will know what I mean by "the lakes". As the River warms in the summer they (fish) head upstream and into the tribs. Just an idea of what to expect:

The daily bag limit is three (3) trout or salmon in total

Rainbow - minimum size 26" (only one may be kept)
    Brown - minimum size 15" (only two may be kept)
    Brook - minimum size 10"
    Salmon - minimum size 12"

If you need anymore info let me know.

Mike

Brad, If your going next week your going to have a ball. It's been raining here about every other day for over a month now. The Rush River in Central WI hasn't warmed up that much as yet so I would think that the Brule is hopping. Rent a canoe, do a float have a blast. You may want to bring a camera. Magneto is absolutely right about the aluminum bloom, it can be overwhelming.
    Good luck, it will be a hoot.

"No one ever hurt themselves shoveling 6 inches of rain." CR Thorp

Its been my experieince that you can always find fishable water this time of year. The upper Brule is primarily spring fed, so stays cooler.

The classic float is from Stones Bridge (Hwy S)to Winnebojou (Hwy B). Lots of good water and interesting scenery.

Hatches to look forward to (depending on when you go) are brown drakes and hex - there are also a variety of caddis.

For additional infomration, contact Brule River Classics (its in Brule and run by a woman named Chloe), The Superior Fly Angler (Superior WI) or try Cabin Life Outfitters in Hayward -- Brad Bohen, their main guide, fishes the Brule.

If you plan on going up, drop me a note. I get up there every so often and might be able to give you some better information on hatches.

Good Luck.

Adams

[This message has been edited by Adam-s (edited 22 June 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Adam-s (edited 22 June 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread