+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fish finder/GPS

Default Fish finder/GPS

Now that I have aquired a S.O.T. (Cobra f/d) I would like to rig it with a fish finder, I was looking at the Eagle Cuda 250 f/f w/gps. I assume that you can use the "skimmer" type transducer as a shoot thru the hull type install and if so has anyone mounted one of these in their yak? Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. Location is another factor, I was thinking the best thing to do was mount it on the large rectangular hatch forward of the seat or possibly some type of bar set-up.

JA

I purchased a Humminbird Piranha MAX 10 to mount to my SIK yak this spring. I've never used a finder before and I'm not really sure I'll use it much more than to see the bottom of the lake.

My trouble is the mounting bracket. It's designed to be used for top mounting, but I'll have to have it below deck so I can cast my line. I'll be designing another bracket for mine, probably a clamp-type that can be removed easily.

I'll post photos when I get it done.

I've read about the hull mounting actually inhibiting the ability of the sonar. If you mount it this way they say NOT to use silicone or other soft adhesives. They recommend a permanent long drying epoxy instead to prevent air pockets under the transducer.

Another method I've read about is to mount the transducer using a small foam box attached to the hull that will hold a little water to make a better sonar pathway through the hull. I think I read this on kayakfishingstuff.com

Good luck and let us know how you get it rigged.

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

http://www.reddrumtackle.com/forums/sho ... ight=kayak

Dont know if this link will work or not but just thought I would try to get it out there for you to look at. Some good pictures and explanations on how the transponder was mounted. Guys in this forum rig their kayaks for salt water fishing around Hatteras NC.

they sell a thru the hull transducer. i've never heard od anyone mounting a transom tranducer on the hull. plus you have to mount the transducer where there is NO air between the face and the water. so just setting it on the deck of the kayak will not work. that's a pretty sophisticated fishfinder/gps for kayak, what do you plan to achieve with setup?

Rizeye,

Actually the cuda is fairly inexpensive for what it is and although it is black and white it is compact and has built in antennas. I like the gps on board for the Chesapeake and any saltwater adventures I may get into, I don't want to have to take my hand held along, just more to secure and worry about. I am going to do some more serious research before buying though (half the fun of all this) and probably come to a landing before ice-out. Have you had a chance to fish that new 3wt. of yours? I also would like to thank you again for letting me test paddle your yaks. Have you been able to sell the ones you were talking about?

JA

Dear wonderrod,

I've seen transducers on SOT kayaks mounted through a scupper hole but to be honest I can't remember where I saw it done?

Check out this site if you haven't already, they have all kinds of outfitting and rigging advice.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/ri_fishing_kayaks.asp

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

wonderrod,

sorry to say i have not been able to fish that little 3wt with this weather. hopeful soon.

i see if your going to be trapsing around the bay a complete, single unit would be better.

no i haven't sold the kayaks yet. haven't tried real hard though.

so not that your afloat, give me a call and we can do a trip some time.

good luck on your reasearch

rizeye

Default vaseline

I have a shoot thru the hull design ducer. It have a foam casing it will fit in to keep it tight and level to the hull of the Yak. I put a fair amount of regular vaseline on the hull inside the foam casing or shell the ducer will fit in. Once the vaseline is in place push the ducer down and no air pocket problems. Kayak fishing stuff has a link for this procedure.

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Default Re: Fish finder/GPS

Quote Originally Posted by wonderrod
    I was looking at the Eagle Cuda 250 f/f w/gps. I assume that you can use the "skimmer" type transducer as a shoot thru the hull type install and if so has anyone mounted one of these in their yak?

I have this exact unit, and it works great. I use the split screen a bunch (the 240 doesn't have a split screen), when I'm drifting over striper holding spots (I mark the spot on the gps, and can see fish on the depthfinder side).

Here's a couple of pictures how I mounted the tranducer in my boat:

I mounted the transducer in the hull via the front hatch.

+ Reply to Thread