+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To share or not to share?

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default To share or not to share?

I?ve got a question about secrets or in some cases, the lack of secrets. Do you have any secrets about fly fishing or about fly tying that you wouldn?t share with other member of FAOL? I?m asking about things like discovering a new, super-deadly fly pattern, finding a cheap gauzy material that makes PERFECT mayfly wings, discovering a little wrist flick that jumped flies across the water in an irresistible way, finding a common household product that made dry flies impossible to sink-------that kind of thing.

Suppose you found that flies with bodies made from Burger King coffee stirrers were irresistible to brim, bass, trout, bonefish or what ever you fish for and they double or tripled your strikes consistently, would you

1. Never mention your discovery on this board at all---ever!

2. Tell people you had a really great secret body material and not divulge the source!

3. Share only with a couple of close friends from FAOL by IM

4. Spill the beans complete and share your secret immediately in an open forum.

I?m afraid that I fall into the 4th category. I like helping people to do well. About the only thing I wouldn?t share is the location of a small, stream hot spot that would be damaged by over fishing or something that I had promised another person I would keep secret. How about you guys and gals? 8T

Default Re: To share or not to share?

If I actually figured out something on my own, and more importantly figured out something that the entire world of fishing didn't already know, I'd probably be so shocked and excited that I'd shout it from the mountain top and tell everyone I met, fisherperson or not.

I think the odds of me being the originator of some secret of piece of fly fishing wisdom are so slim that dreaming about it is about as close as I'll ever come.
    Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

ET,
    I'd be totally open, and let everyone know, and probably send pieces of it to whomever asked, along with pictures and detailed directions. As well as posting it all on the forum.
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I would probably share it with my serious ff buddies, like on here, but not to other (casual) anglers.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

I'd write a book or make a video and become an FAOL sponsor and SELL the knowledge in order to share it. It's the American Way!

#2 would be

If I told you, I would have to kill you!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

"Suppose you found that flies with bodies made from Burger King coffee stirrers were irresistible to brim, bass, trout, bonefish or what ever you fish for and they double or tripled your strikes consistently..."
    Wendy's works better, but don't tell anyone.
    Technique? Yes. Product? Yes. Place to fish? Over my dead body.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Duckster,

Number two has been done on this board a number of times. There was a guy a couple of years ago who posted for about three months and constantly bragged about his secret bluegill fly and the ninety pound bluegills he caught with it. Some of you older guys may remember him. I won't mention his name just in case someone was strange enough to like him. I've also seen it done by a regular fairly recently.

Silvermallard, I've got to admire that entrepreneurial spirit. The only thing that would be more impressive would be to take someone else's idea and write about as your own.

8T

I'd tell everybody. How else could I become famous?

Besides it's not likely any of you knuckleheads would be fishing next to me.

+ Reply to Thread