+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Number of Rod Peices and the Rods Preformance

Default Number of Rod Peices and the Rods Preformance

Hey all,
    I was wondering wether a 4pc rod would have any advantages other than size to a 3 or 2 pc rod. The reason Im asking is im going to be buyin a new rod soon and I would like to know of Ishould go for the 4pc or the 3p or even the 2pc like all my other rods.
    Mmany thanks,
    Salmon Man

Blog Entries

Default Re: Number of Rod Peices and the Rods Preformance

There are lots of previous threads on this, so you might check out the archives. My thoughts are:

4 pc is easier to lug around, take on planes, etc.

4pc weighs very slightly more than a comparable 2pc (overlap at the ferrules)

4pc used to affecct the action of a rod, but the newer the rod, the less that is felt any more, IMO

4pc gives you three times the ferrules to come apart while casting (he says from experience).

It's easier to scratch your back with a part of a 4pc rod than a 2.

DG

Four piece packs down only slightly smaller than a 3 pc. As a matter of fact I bought a 3 pc rod carrier to pack 3 and 4 pc rods in so, for me, its a moot point.
    Some will say they'll never buy a 2 pc rod again. I buy what ever rod I like with the number of pcs it has my last consideration. To not buy a Orvis Far and Fine as an example because its a 2 pc rod is silly.

Salmon Man ,
    I have 2, 3, and 4 piece rods. Any difference has nothing to do with how many pieces it has. The line only cares about what is happening at the tip, not where or how the rod bends. Only difference you will see is the broken down package. And a slight difference in putting it up and taking it down. Buy whatever rod you like the feel of. # of parts shouldn't be a major concern unless you take it with you in the cabin on the plane.
    Bobinmich

I just ordered a 7-piece 4wt to build because I wanted a rod that will fit in my carry-on luggage (15-1/2" segments). I think I'll be a little punchy after wrapping all those female ferrules.

I have noticed that 4-piece rods are a bit faster than their 2-piece counterpart. I have a 2-piece 6'6" 2wt and a 4-piece 6'6" 2wt, and the 4-piece is definitely faster, plus, I can throw another15-20 feet of line with it as well. I'm sure the 7-piece will cast like a broomstick, which is just the way I like them.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

For what it's worth, I've heard it said that even numbers sections are more prone to problems than odd numbered sections. (4 piece versus 3 piece) The reason being that the resonating oscillations, created during the casting stroke, meet in the middle of a 4 piece or 2 piece rod at the ferrule. On a 3 piece or even a 5 or 7 piece, they meet each other in the middle of a blank. Thus are less prone to separation. My thought is that if you are a good enough caster to tell the difference between the two, then good for you. I'm not that good, so my next rod is going to be a 4 piece, 7 1/2 foot, 5 weight. It packs well and does almost all the things I want it too. The blank is coming from Batson Enterprises (RX-7, 4 piece) and the reel seat is coming from Robert Veneeri. I'm saving up for it 1 penny at a time.
    This probably doesn't help you much but I needed to say it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I own 2, 3 and 4 pc rods. If you blind folded me, I could not tell the difference how many pieces I was casting. I have never had a rod come apart while casting.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Hey all,
    Thanks for all the sugestions and I think that Ill go withthe 4 pc because I will be taking it with me on several trips and it would be good to have a 4pc for ease of packing. Anyway thanks for all the help.
    Salmon Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmon Man
    Hey all,
    Thanks for all the sugestions and I think that Ill go withthe 4 pc because I will be taking it with me on several trips and it would be good to have a 4pc for ease of packing. Anyway thanks for all the help.
    Salmon Man.
    Just an FYI, I carry up to three 4-piece rods in their tubes and put them in the overhead compartment in planes. If you check out the TSA website, they actually encourage you to hand carry your rods, reels and flies on the plane to avoid damage. I've done this with no hassle from TSA. I also carry a printout from their website just in case...

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1188.shtm

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I have a seven piece 8 wt pack rod that I absolutely love. No trouble whatsoever with it coming apart and I can't tell the difference at all in the way it casts, and it does cast beautifully.

+ Reply to Thread