+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Polarized Sunglasses

Default Re: Polarized Sunglasses

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance
    As far as seeing fish in the water, although polarized lenses are the key, one still has to practice and learn how to see fish underwater. Things are way over-priced in the fly fishing industry. Just my opinion among multitudes.
    Yep.. was trying to explain that to a friend over the weekend. The glasses don't make the fish automatically visible.. you've still gotta work for them.

I picked up a $20 pair at a sporting goods store nearby. Frames fit me well, no distortion and not a ridiculous amount of money. Wulff answered my main question.. does more expensive mean better performance? Apparently not. Fishing isn't a fashion show(IMHO) so having the snazziest frames don't really mean that much. So long as the glare is off the water and hooks are kept out of my eyes, I'm a happy guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess
    You might want to step up from Wally, but you don't need to spend $200. Markup on glasses is ridiculous.

Alrightie then To me it is like buying a $1,500. Colt then sticking it in a plastic holster, but that is just me.

You going to say the same thing for the third time too. I got the hint. You don't agree with me.

Spend your money as you please, but don't force it on others.

Now, I am 99.9% sure I couldn't do that nor would I try. I have just been there and done that, that is all.
    Like I said, My eye doctor charged me $345. for READING glasses, the same ones you can get for $1. at the Dollar Store, so I know what you are saying, Gramps.

Yes, it happened to me too. When I came to Big Bear I need a new prescription. I had the exam and decided to get new frames. I was shown the latest style frames that were titanium and very small with no frame going around the lens. Stupidly I never asked the price. They were so light that I decided to get a pair for the computer too. When I went to pay for them my bill was $1200 freaking dollars!!

Expensive frames/glasses has been a real sore spot for me ever since. I think if you saw the Bill Dance glasses I bought you'd agree they're pretty good. The frames are solid, 100% UV protection, and they are big so no light creeps in the sides. Something I can't say for my $1200 ripoffs. Plus I have a spare pair for $25. Hard to beat.

Practice This...
    When you release a fish take the time to watch it go all the way back to it's holding/feeding position... if the water clarity allows for it. If not watch the fish as far as possible after the release. It will gradually train you eyes to see the fish against the surface bottom of the river. Over time I have been able to literally count the number of fish in a pool and know I missed dozens just from fish moving. By watching for mouths, flashes, movement, shadows etc...

I am not an advocate of spending tons of money for high dollar lenses. I DID NOT pay retail for mine and will not in the future. I am a huge advocate of having multiple lenses for back up or for changing conditions. Bright Light, Low Light, Haze all call for different lenses. I even have a pair of nice safety lenses in clear for wearing at night or late evening simply to protect my eyes from a bad hook-set/cast/ snag break etc...

After 30 years on the water I can say that I have found a difference in the layered quality lenses verses cheaper optics. Once you realize the difference a pair of quality optics make it is simply a must have for protection on your eyesight as well as ease of fishing. Ask any guide the importance of quality optics. Very few will ever say nah just get a pair of polarized lenses a X-Mart!

my 2 cents
    Wade Blevins

[quote=Fly Goddess]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Big Bad Wulff":aef43
    Eye doctor here.
    Polarization happens because of the film sandwiched in the lens. The film is the same no matter what lens you get. The biggest factor is the frame. Just like a rod, a cheap frame is just that...........cheap. Find a pair that FITS YOU well and is made well. Cheap frames will bend and fall apart fast and always fall off your face.

Now if you are talking about prescription polarized lenses.............just PM me and we'll talk.

But then again what do I know, I'm only an eye doctor that has done this for 20+ years

I would think that how and what, the polarization is sandwiched would be a bigger factor over the frame.
    If there is a thin layer of plastic over the polarization it is going to scratch very easy, plus if the polarization is even slightly off, it is going to distort. The sandwich between GLASS or better quality plastic (more expensive) is going to last longer and 99% sure sandwiched right.
    Personally, I think that SCRATCHES on glasses are the worst enemy to your eyes.
    [/quote:aef43]

Uh.........like I said................
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Waders
    Practice This...
    When you release a fish take the time to watch it go all the way back to it's holding/feeding position...
    my 2 cents
    Wade Blevins

I like that one.... I'm going to keep it in my back pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by jsalkas
    Quote Originally Posted by Waders
    Practice This...
    When you release a fish take the time to watch it go all the way back to it's holding/feeding position...
    my 2 cents
    Wade Blevins

I like that one.... I'm going to keep it in my back pocket.
    The fish?

Good idea to wear some kind of glasses while fishing, if for no other reason than to prevent eye injuries.
    Fishing now causes more eye injuries than other sports.
    Here is an article about it:

http://www.startribune.com/531/story/1141910.html

The fish?
    Yes. I just have to remember it's there before I sit down.

Quote Originally Posted by jsalkas
    The fish?
    Yes. I just have to remember it's there before I sit down.
    Good thinking.

+ Reply to Thread