+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Travleing With Fly Tackle

Default Re: Travleing With Fly Tackle

I went to Scotland last year and Iceland Air insisted that all fishing gear must be checked - including my just completed four piece forecast 6' 6" 2 wt that I had planned to carryon. I told them to be very careful because it was my first rod building experience. I was also glad it was in a homemade PVC rod tube and did not say "please steal me" on it. I checked it separately and it arrived in OK with one plane change. On the return trip, I fit the rod in my luggage and checked it. I caught some small browns on Skye and a nice brown near Lochivar so it was all very worth while.

Rich Wagner

Thanks for the responses floks, I'm slowly learning. If it makes a difference to anyone I will be going to New Zealand for six months. Somebody said aluminum tubes are no good, why is this??? Thanks again.

-RC

Must ... not ... allow ... green ... eyes ... of ... envy ... to ...show !!! Whimper
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I would check out your local carpet/flooring resaler.(Home Depot, Lowes, etc) Often they will have extremely think cardboard tubes that carpeting or lynoleum was previously rolled onto. You can then wrap all three rod tubes in bubble wrap and stuff them inside, cap off the ends and you're good to go. I have received rods by mail order that were packed in a similar way and the cardboard tube wasn't dented/beat-up at all. It is really rugged stuff and it has to be in order to support the weight of a carpet/florring roll...that stuff sure isn't light weight. The added weight of the thicker tube might be a little more expensive to ship, but in the long run you will probably save money by shipping all your rods at once.

+ Reply to Thread