+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Noob question pertaining bass

Chernobyl Ant is a good one to use.

Dear Jared,

crcaddis gave you a pretty good list.

The only fly I would add is a Clouser swimming nymph in sizes 4 to 8. It is good for dead drifting, makes a passble hellgramite imitation, and is dynamite in lakes for bass, larger bluegills, and oddly enough, trout. It's pretty much a heavily weighted nymph that imitates a lot of stuff. Good colors are rusty red, olive, tan, and brown.

You can make some effective poppers cheaply and easily by going to a craft store and picking up some cylindrical foam. It varies in size from pencil thick to about as thick as your thumb, and comes in all sorts of colors. I like white, yellow, and black. The diameter of the foam you use will vary according to the hook size, bigger diameter for bigger hooks.

If you have a means to secure a hook in a vise to tie a fly all you need to do is wrap some thread over the shank of the hook and cut a piece of foam about 1/2 the length of the shank. Make a slit with a sharp blade on the bottom of the foam. Put a drop of Super Glue on the thread and push the foam down on top of it where you made the slit. Hold it for about 30 seconds and you are almost done. Behind the foam cylinder tie some calf tail, buck tail, feathers, or even some rubber skirting left over from an old spinnerbait to the back and throw a couple of half-hitches over the thread and hit it with some Super Glue. It won't be the prettiest popper, but it will work. It will fall apart pretty quickly, but even the $ 4.00 store bought jobs do when you get into fish.

If you don't have a vise you can also hold the hook in a pair of pliers and heat it slightly and then push the foam over the eye of the hook. Even without the tail, a simple popper like this will catch bass as it chugs along.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

Crease flies.

Big sliders (black) (When I say slider, I mead a popper type bug with the pointed end mounted forward. I like 'em with plenty of long rubber legs along the sides.)

i would say that as a basic rule of thumb, bass will hit topwater in the morning and evening and during hazy or cloudy days, and then will hit subsurface during hot or sunny days.

Try a big foam hopper with a hellgrammite dropper, also small soft plastic crawfish work well. Early morning and late evening a hula popper is hard to beat.

Mike B

PS: flyfish1159 try it like this: B?tch Creek Nymph

[This message has been edited by idabelangler (edited 15 June 2005).]

2 Frogs, 2 mice, and a streamer went out to you this a.m. If they are a little scrunched up for the envelope just toss them in a sink full of cool water for awhile.
    I think I got them from Cabela's years ago and never used them.
    Caught my first Bass on a fly back in the early 70's. It was a black spider on the most perfect roll cast ever made up under an overhanging tree about 3' from shore. Notice I don't say "that I ever made"!! It was a thing of beauty, the kind they write about and film!! Had to have been "Dumb Luck" 'cause I've never been able to do it again in 30+ years!!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus

For streamers I like Hornbergs, Mickey Finns and White Woolly Buggers.

jed

Thanks everyone for the input! I intend to use it all quite soon. Special thanks goes to Jack Hise for going beyond the call of duty.

crcaddis,

I'm guessing that book you cited is self published. It's not listed on Amazon. There is a book on smallmouth fishing by Tim Holschlag but it was published in 1990, and I wouldn't call that recent.

Tim's new book is self published. It became available a couple months ago. He sells em on his website. Cheers.
    [url=http://www.smallmouthangler.com:d5dba]http://www.smallmouthangler.com[/url:d5dba]

+ Reply to Thread