+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear encounters

Default Re: Bear encounters

cea...that's a really good shot!! How far away would you estimate he was? Awesome critter...

Jeremy....a Mpls city boy....

Jeremy: I'd guess that bear was 200 yards or so away. He was on the roadside when we approached, crossed the road and splashed around in a lake, then went back up into the hills. I guess the important part is that I was less than two feet from my car to take the photo. While watching the bear, another person stopped, took out lots of photo equipment and followed the bear. I told him I thought that was extremely stupid, and since it was in the national park, reported him to the ranger. Its just dumb to follow a grizzly bear to try and get a better photo.

Blog Entries

I have hunted most of my life , mostly deer, elk, moose black bears and waterfowl. In 1980 I put my name in for the Spring grizzley hunt in SE BC. every year aproximately 8,000 people put their name in for about 20 bear tags. It is quite a lottery. I had my name drawn and I got really excited about it. My friend Jim is a guide and since it was off season for him, agreed to take me out to get my bear. My excitement level got higher and higher till the opening day of the special spring bear season.

We glassed several lone bears that were quickly out of sight on the first day.
    The second day we spoted a mother and two yearling cubs. I watched them across the valley thru the binoculars and spotting scope for almost an hour ( Mother bears with cubs were not legal ) What a magnificent animal. The rock in the picture in front of Your bear is about 1/2 the size of a rock that she turned over to look for grubs . The strength of Her was incredible. I watched her interact with the younguns . It was a magical day for me. My buddy said lets go we'll find another bear to shoot.

At that point I realized that even though I had spent months pouring over every thing I could find about hunting grizzleys. After that afternoon watching them. I could not and would not ever shoot one of these animals.

Jim thought I was absolutely nuts but that afternoon back in Cranbrook I turned in my Spring Bear tag. Jim told me that people enter the draw hoping to win and then they sell the tag to the highest bidder. (strictly illegal ). I turned that idea down .

I still hunt meat animals like black bears , the meat of which I really enjoy but find that shooting a grizzley is almost pointless . Its Just for the hide and so you can brag about it I suppose.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Gnu Bee,
    I read your post/reply with the utmost respect. What you did, or more importantly, what you felt and your resulting decision is worthy of a long campfire chat, much laughing/joking even some toasting with some good stuff!

I'm impressed. That "something" hit you regarding the senselesss killing of a fine creature and/or the respect the bear deserved.

Sounds like I'm anti-hunting....not in the least. I just am impressed by your decision and your understanding after glassing for the day, thinking about the excitement of the hunt and your final feelings that came across.

To me, you got the hunt "flavor" satisfied within your heart. And you found something that meant so much more. That's commendable. Man, I've never heard of too many stories that had such a cool ending.

I'm not a bear hunter, I live in the metro ares of the Twin Cities but would love to have been behind cea when he took that shot. I just felt a passion within when I saw his picture, much like I'd feel watching a great white feed, if ever I could have that experience!

Thanks. What a great read. Man, I live a sheltered life.....

Jeremy.

Here is a video of how to deal with a bear http://www.youtube.com/watch?ViO_UsWRjhPA and type in John West .

And to further belabour this thread. I'm now watching a Yellwstone National Park documentary on the Travel Channel. AND there was bit about bears and that park "regulations" require that park visitors stay a minimum of 100 yds away from them. Gee, I'm thinking. What a shame. I'm wanting to get MUCH closer than that

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Marco
    And to further belabour this thread. I'm now watching a Yellwstone National Park documentary on the Travel Channel. AND there was bit about bears and that park "regulations" require that park visitors stay a minimum of 100 yds away from them. Gee, I'm thinking. What a shame. I'm wanting to get MUCH closer than that

Mark
    Do the bears follow the 100 yd rule too?

GET A GOOD TELEPHOTO LENS IT IS MUCH SAFER.

Enough on the stories. What is the best Bear Spray? and Why?

Thanks in advance.
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    Enough on the stories. What is the best Bear Spray? and Why?

Thanks in advance.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17640

+ Reply to Thread