+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Found this skull streamside today

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Re: Found this skull streamside today

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefish
    If you want to preserve the skull, here is the accepted process that museums use.

1. First, determine if the skull is decayed. If it is, you'll want to work with it OUTSIDE
    If you want to preserve your MARRIAGE, you'll boil skulls outside. Learned the hard way boiling deer skulls, and they weren't even rotten!...TIM

PS Gigmaster: I have a BSc in Zoology. Your fabulous explanation was a trip down memory lane - Ah mammalogy labs...boxes of skulls and skins...pits of dermestid beetles...the everpresent scents of mould and decay...ah the good old days!
    It's still like that around here......I have a lab in the back room and do volunteer work with the Animal Rescue unit. I've always got a few wild animals around here waiting to be re-located or receive medical attention. Here's a great tidbit for you: Did you know that the best thing for fixing a turtles damaged shell or beak is plain old 5 min epoxy? They leave here as good (or better) than new.

Semper Fi!

it definitely reminded me that knowing the terms and knowing the definition of the terms are two different things. I guess I have a long way to go before I can use those terms without having a reference in front of me.
    Personally, I was still looking for a carnassial apparatus in the dentition to rule out cats....a raccoon would definitely have thrown me for a loop. lol ( by the way, we don't have 'coons here, so it's not something I would be greatly familiar with so I'm using that for an excuse)

I hate to admit I understood the explanation.
    Does that make me a geek?
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

You make "geek" sound like a bad thing

Aren't we all ffing geeks?!...TIM

If 'Geek' means educated, then I would take it as a compliment. I spent a lot of money and time on my education. I'd like to think it wasn't wasted (hint: knowledge is never 'wasted').

It could get even worse. I hate to admit it, but I minored in Physics........in what was then known as Quantum Theory, now taught as Quantum Mechanics.

I predict that will be the next big 'breakthrough' in computer technology. Computers with Quantum-based memories. You can have a portable computer the size of a small cell phone, with the RAM and processing power of several Crays.......awesome. Probably within 10 years or so.

Semper Fi!

Gig - masters and doctorate ...... my hats off to you (and toss in physics yet too .....)
    I love learning .... but when hit the classroom, I get tired - quick.

interesting stuff though ....

I do OK until get into the properties of time, and some of the Einstienian theories regarding it. It gives me a headache! I still study it on my own, sort of as a hobby, but a little goes a loooong way! I am also an amatuer astronomer.

Here is a picture of the moon I took Sunday night. The large sea in the upper right-center is the Sea Of Tranquility, where the first landing was in 1969. This is a digital image taken with my Nikon D70 DSLR camera through my Meade 10" LX-6 telescope, with an f/6.3 Schmidt-Cassegrain Objective lens. The telescope is also connected to my computer for both location and imaging.

Semper Fi!

We used to have a 16" reflector in the back yard!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

well, I understood all the concepts in class (of alg, trig, physics, etc) - came time to put to use ...... Still twigs me once in a while.

Did you use a polarized filter or just what the telescope provided via the lens'

Have been trying to get a decent pic for a while with the Z740, but it seems that it doesn't have a low enough f-stop ............ might have to buck-shee something

darrell,

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff
    I hate to admit I understood the explanation.
    Does that make me a geek?
    I don't think the word is 'GEEK', it's 'NERD'
    It used to be Nerds were made fun of, but now everyone wishes they were a Nerd.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread