+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Life in the bamboo shop

Default Re: Life in the bamboo shop

Hello:
    I am new to this bulletin board, so forgive me if I do something out of turn.
    I am not a bamboo rod builder, but I do have a question?
    Does any builder now or in the past build a rod out of five segments instead of six? We had a discussion the other day and I did not find an answer anywhere. The only ones I am familiar with are the hexagonal.
    Would appreciate any info you have.

Dennis

2. Default Re: Life in the bamboo shop

I don't know if any current makers make penta's. I think Uslan made a fair number of five sided rods.
    rmb

Recignized you as one of the feathered hooks finest rod makers, I say that because of the back round they give of you...One of these days if I can't own one of Ron's rods...I will own one of yours.
    I suspect the folks around here alone, Keep you mighty busy...Glad you had some time to get on the board....

Best of luck with the new wife and home!!!!

dpc,

They also make 4 sided rods known as quadrates...Many still do..Like Ron Kusse for one...They have many atrabutes that make this the single most wanted Boo design that I will one day own.... Just do not have the cash for a rod from the caliber builder I want one from.. ..........YET!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Thanks for the reply on the penta's.
    Dennis

Well, the shop, most of the time, but when not, Mountain Home, AR

The saga continues... I was in the shop until about 11pm last night. Short day for me... got in late (about 11 AM), left early, only about a 12 hour day! I never did get to the reel seats I mentioned on the opening post of this thread, but ended up making ferrules and shaping grips all day yesterday and most of last night. Also spent about an hour replentishing my supply of hex shaped winding checks. I didn't have any to fit any of the rods I'm working on right now, so had a little sit down session at the lathe with the 2024 Aluminum and punched out about 20 winding checks and formed them to hex. Then a little cleaning up was in order. It looked like a bamboo and cork dust blizzard had hit the shop. Sometimes the schedule just doesn't work out!

I'm having another lazy morning. I'm dressed in my ratty clothes getting ready to go back to the shop, but thought I'd see if anything interesting has happened on here this morning.

Well, while I'm sitting here, I might as well tell you what I have on the slate for today.

Today I'll install ferrules on the following:

7' 6" 5wt 2/2 Supreme (The Supreme is what I call the Western Taper... no swelled butt)
    7' 3" 3wt 2/2 Flamed Eastern Series (Eastern has a swelled butt, 0.130" over 2.5")
    7' 4wt 2/2 Dark Flamed Eastern Series
    6' 9" 3 wt 2/2 Dark Flamed Eastern Series
    6' 9" 4 wt 2/2 Dark Flamed Eastern Series

I should be able to get those done by mid afternoon, so maybe the reel seats will be on the agenda tonight!

Wish Rita was here. I have a "How it's done" sort of page on my website that I just revamped a couple of weeks ago, and I wanted to add more steps in the process to it, and Rita is the chief photographer! Well, plus she makes the breaks a little nicer, although, when she's here, I don't get near as much done for some reason!

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE I'm starting a new series of rods that are VERY dark flamed. I really like the way they look, but I'm getting a little tired of calling them "very evenly dark flamed rods" and I need to name them something. My eldest son suggested "The Black Forest" but all I can think about when I hear that is Ice Cream, not fly rods. Besides, they're dark brown, not black, so... Any suggestions. I'm open to any suggestions!

Later,
    Bob

Great posts Bob, I admire your dedication in keeping the tradition of bamboo rod building alive and well.

Suggestions for your new line, How about something like Royal Chestnut series, Woodland series or Autumn Brown if you want to suggest the color of the rod.

Regards Mike
    Inside every old man is a young man saying " what the hell happened "

to whomever asked...jerry kustich formerly of winston and currently @ sweetgrass rods has been playing w/ pentas (five strip) rods for quite some time now.

dpc,
    There are several rod makers today making penta that can be added to the Jerry Kustich list. Jim Beasly and Tim Zietak also make a very nice penta. Good luck with them, hope you find a good one!!

LED

Mmmmmm, dark flamed cane. With a nice varnish finish, a thing of beauty for my eyes for sure.

Something about the woman we never quite get over. I let Vickie get away from me years ago for some stupid reason. We finally got together 7 years ago and life has been blissfull ever since. When you do what you love for a living, with the people you love, live don't get much better than that. Well worth the wait.

Gotta stop using that Sof-Tex. Making me get all mushy and stuff.

Congrats, Bob.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Well, the shop, most of the time, but when not, Mountain Home, AR

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk
    When you do what you love for a living, with the people you love, live don't get much better than that.
    You're absolutely righ, Ron.

Well, off to Texas today for me. Kind of missing the Rattlesnakes and Polecats NOT!!! But have things to get ready down there for the move in June, so must go.

Hope everyone on here has a wonderful week and I'll get online when I can.

Bob

+ Reply to Thread