+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Polarized Sunglasses

Default Re: Polarized Sunglasses

i don't know the physics of it, but i have seen the physics teacher at the high school where i teach take two thin polarizing lenses and turn them so the polarization goes east-west on one and north-south on the other, then rotate one of them. you could see the change, so i imagine from that experiment that two different polarized lenses could be made from two different combinations of layers so that they have different polarizing characteristics. so it makes sense that some lenses do the same thing, but one better than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by tar heel
    i don't know the physics of it, but i have seen the physics teacher at the high school where i teach take two thin polarizing lenses and turn them so the polarization goes east-west on one and north-south on the other, then rotate one of them. you could see the change, so i imagine from that experiment that two different polarized lenses could be made from two different combinations of layers so that they have different polarizing characteristics. so it makes sense that some lenses do the same thing, but one better than the other.
    You can do the same with your regular polorized sunglasses. Outdoors in the sun, grab them by the temples, look thru them normally, then slowly turn them 90 degrees. You'll see a difference. Anybody notice when you have on a pair of polorized lens' you can see the sheeting sandwiched between auto glass. Looks like dark spots.
    "If opera is entertainment, then falling off the roof is transportation".

3. Default saw some killer glasses at spey o rama at almost half off

I have been attending the spey o rama in San Francisco, and Numa Tactical has a booth.They are extremely impressive. The rep was showing how they are virtually unbreakable, you can tie them in a knot and then stomp on them. I tried this and I could not break them. The best part about them is they have a no questions asked warranty on both the frames and lens, including scratches.

Tommorow I am going to pick up a pair, they are having a show special, the msrp at $169 but are selling for $90, and you can get the extra lens (if you get high light, you can get the interchangeable low light) for an extra $30 more.

If you call the company up they will probably honor the special. I dont think they are a sponsor so I wont explicitly give the url, but will say it is the companys name then com.

Avoid walmart at all costs, they arent worth it. I think Guideline has glasses that are right around $50 , and I Ihear they are a very respectable pair of glasses.

There are varing degrees of polarization, good fishing glasses are hard to drive with. The high polarization will black out other peoples car windows and show you the waffling pattern on 50% polorized windows. My shooting glasses have a 20% polorization. As I mentioned before I have my glasses made by my eye Dr. (also a flyfisherman). My fishing, shooting & driving glasses all are different when it comes to polarization and all look very different. Here is a link to glasses with adjustable polarization:
    http://www.polarization.com/shop/catalog/index.html
    The glasses are at the bottom of the page.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Any tips on getting prescription polarized sunglasses for fishing? These posts have been about non-prescription glasses, unless I missed something. I'm just wondering if anyone who needs Rx glasses has invested in a pair for fishing, and whether anyone has any brands/retailers/models to avoid or look for.
    I just can't stand the big over-glasses Cocoons any more. Too much bulk, too clunky.
    Thanks,
    Olaf

Olaf...I believe the Orvis HVO Stealth Cat?s referenced above are offered in prescription lens....check the Orvis website.....

Olaf...I believe the Orvis HVO Stealth Cat?s referenced above are offered in prescription lens....check the Orvis website.....

That is what I said on page 2. Got the new Tri Spectrum glasses from Orvis....they feeeeeel gggoooooddd and look good. Haven't had a chance to see the fishies yet

Eye doctor here.
    Polarization happens because of the film sandwiched in the lens. The film is the same no matter what lens you get. The biggest factor is the frame. Just like a rod, a cheap frame is just that...........cheap. Find a pair that FITS YOU well and is made well. Cheap frames will bend and fall apart fast and always fall off your face.

Now if you are talking about prescription polarized lenses.............just PM me and we'll talk.

Polarized lenses are polarized. If it isn't polarized it ISN'T a polarized lens. I know that sounds dumb but many people think just because a lens is dark it is polarized. Or is it turns dark it is polarized. Transitions brand lenses are NOT polarized.

But then again what do I know, I'm only an eye doctor that has done this for 20+ years
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess

That is what I said on page 2. Got the new Tri Spectrum glasses from Orvis....they feeeeeel gggoooooddd and look good. Haven't had a chance to see the fishies yet
    Joni....remember you were going to give me a comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff
    Eye doctor here.
    Polarization happens because of the film sandwiched in the lens. The film is the same no matter what lens you get. The biggest factor is the frame. Just like a rod, a cheap frame is just that...........cheap. Find a pair that FITS YOU well and is made well. Cheap frames will bend and fall apart fast and always fall off your face.

Now if you are talking about prescription polarized lenses.............just PM me and we'll talk.

But then again what do I know, I'm only an eye doctor that has done this for 20+ years

I would think that how and what, the polarization is sandwiched would be a bigger factor over the frame.
    If there is a thin layer of plastic over the polarization it is going to scratch very easy, plus if the polarization is even slightly off, it is going to distort. The sandwich between GLASS or better quality plastic (more expensive) is going to last longer and 99% sure sandwiched right.
    Personally, I think that SCRATCHES on glasses are the worst enemy to your eyes.

+ Reply to Thread