+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cork Stoppers for Bluegill and Bass Poppers

Default Cork Stoppers for Bluegill and Bass Poppers

Years ago while shopping with my wife some were, I picked up a mixed bag of cork stoppers for a couple bucks and just yesterday realized that some of the smaller ones are perfect for popper flies. The great thing about them is all you have to do is trim them to length and make a groove for the hook. I found a place called Widgits.com that charges $.10 each with free shipping. Does anyone else know any good sources?

Greg

Default Re: Cork Stoppers for Bluegill and Bass Poppers

i buy mine from orchard supply hardware for $1.00 for 25 every size from the tiniest bluegill popper to a huge bass popper

I get mine ot Home Depot. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Also, check at Lowe's if you have one in your area. Our Lowe's has them in many different sizes.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

It's much more fun to get them with the bottle attached.

Cork has been a popper material of choice for many generations of panfish and bass anglers.

It works, and is kind of nostalgic to use.

Has some drawbacks, though. To get a good finish (not just looks, but to seal it well) you have to use multiple coats of paint/finish. They tend to be a bit fragile, and 'heavy' for their buoyancy (some of this due to the finish coats required, no doubt).

Balsa has some of the same issues.

I really prefer foam, but, if you like cork, a couple of 'hints' learned from years of playing wih it:

Lacquer, the plain old stuff, is the best finish for cork. Buy it in white as 'sanding sealer' from any good paint store. Thin it down 30% with lacquer thinner and 'dip' multiple coats to 'seal' and smooth the cork. Each coat 'dries' in just a few minutes. Lacquer cures in 'thin' coats, leaving little in the way of 'solids' behind, so it reduces the weight. It will take three or four dipped coats to 'seal' the cork.

Add colors either with colored lacquer or markers (colored lacquer is the 'traditional' method). If you have an airbrush, you can get some really fantqstic efffects with lacquers. Stetch an piece of old nylon stocking over the body and spray through it to get a 'scale' pattern. You can make a stencil from sheet plastic for relistic body side markings. Use a cheap set of drill bits to make eye spots-three color eyes look really cool.

Lacquer finishes will 'react' with stuff, like rubber legs or such, so you should add a THIN epoxy top coat to prevent this and protect the finish. Thinned down '2-ton' Devcon Epoxy Glue makes an excellent top coat.

The 'acrylic' craft paints sold at any craft store will also work, but they leave 'heavier' coats and care must be taken, especially on small bugs' to keep them from sinking due to 'too much' paint ( a lesson I learned the hard way...).

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Huuummmm!

Intersting info Buddy.

Suspending poppers; must push a lot of water when pulled, like ringing the dinner bell for fish!

Did your heavier popper sink all the way to the bottom, or suspend between the surface, and bottom?

Take care,
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by chris from canada
    Huuummmm!

Intersting info Buddy.

Suspending poppers; must push a lot of water when pulled, like ringing the dinner bell for fish!

Did your heavier popper sink all the way to the bottom, or suspend between the surface, and bottom?

Take care,
    chris

Here are my first two Cork Stopper Poppers.

#10 Nymph Hook
    Cork Stopper cut to length. Green nail polish and stick on googly eyes
    Tail-Yellow dyed grizzley
    Hackle-Black

#8 Streamer Hook
    Cork Stopper cut to length. Green nail polish and stick on googlyy eyes
    Tail-Back Hen Feathers
    Hackle-Black

I tested them in the sink and they float pretty good. Not to sure what hooks I should use but I'm thinking Extra long dry fly with a straight eye or popper hooks.

Greg

Chris,

Don't really know.

When the went beneath the surface, I figured I'd goofed, and found one that actually floated.....

Neutral or slightly negative buoyancy is an interesting concept for fly fishermen. Difficult to accomplish, due to differences in water densities.

Another idea to explore.

The ONE is out there....

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread