+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Figure 8 Follow Through

Default Figure 8 Follow Through

So, I've always used a clinch or improved clinch know for tying flies to my tippet. After reading a few articles I've been thinking about knots that will hold with a loop on the fly for more natural action, especially on wet flies and streamers. I am an ice climber and started thinking of knots I use while climbing. I figured that if I trust my life to a knot, why not trust a fly or fish on the same knot. The knot used to tie yourself (via a harness) directly into the line is called a Figure 8 Follow-Thru.
    To tie it simply tie a single figure-eight knot in your tippet by tying an overhand knot with one more loop around so it looks like an 8. Take the tag end through the eye of hook and then follow it back through itself in the knot. It may sound difficult, but is really one of the easiest knots in the world to tie and it WILL NOT COME UNDONE. Additionally, it is used in climbing because it is one of the strongest knots you can tie.
    My catch rate on streamers and wets has doubled since using this knot, so I thought I'd share. Anyone else use it?
    Leave No Trace

I am familiar with this knot under the name 'Orvis knot' I like to use it for small flies since it is very compact and has less bulk than an improved clinch knot.

Oops, thanks for the correction GnuBee. I learned something new today...

Blog Entries

For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

The Orvis Knot and the Fig. 8 Follow through are not the same Knot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark k
    The Orvis Knot and the Fig. 8 Follow through are not the same Knot.
    I use a figure 8 variation on my dry fly. Tag end through the eye, figure 8 the tag end and run the open loop over the top of the dry where it actually shanks over the hook eye. The advantage I've seen is that the fly will ride upright in the water on every cast. I've found with the clinch that often the dry lands hook sideout and often the fly is riding upsidedown in the water. My hook rate has improved with the figure 8. Disadvantage is that it takes longer to clip and clear the line from the hookeye with this method. That can really be a pain especially in cold weather with numb fingers.....

Fish-stick, I think I have seen your knot many years ago being used for dry flies. I asked the gent what it's name was and he said, "One that works" and it did! The Knot Wild One forms a non slip loop. The Fig. 8 family of Knots is normally used in moutain or ice climbing and in rope Rescue. Their are no telling how many knots out there that work for a given job, all we have to do is decide which ones we want to use for a given task

gnu bee and mark k have it right. Not the same as the Orvis not. Great link btw gnu bee. I guess we do stick to the knots we're familiar with and what we like to tie, but I LOVE the figure 8 follow through and strongly suggest learning it.
    Leave No Trace

All my knot skills came from the climbing end of things too, but I guess I never gave it much thought for fishing because I always tie a back up knot while climbing. Guess I'll have to give it a try!
    -Erik

I would love to use any figure of eight knot since I believe they are some of the strongest...but for some reason when on the water my mind goes blank
    And this follow through business...I can just see all the trouble a fine tippet through and over and under and more....especially in poor light or with cold fingers

After looking at the tutorial, couldn't the same thing be achieved by running the tippet through the eye, bring the tag end back up along side the tippet and then tying an overhand knot in the now doubled tippet by bringing the fly through the loop?
    Joe

+ Reply to Thread