+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #003 Ready for autograph - Test Run Update

Now that the rod is completed, I decided to take it out today for a test run before delivering it to Mikey. I attached a Ross Flycaster I reel with a #3WFF line, 7 1/2" leader with 5X tippet and a #14 Zug Bug on the business end of the line. and headed to Mentor Lagoons. Here are the results:

This little guy got snagged by the fly while lifting the line for my backcast. The lagoon was filled today with these little minnows, which is why the gills are so nice & chunky and why the crappies would not hit the Zug Bug.

This is really a sweet little gill rod, but I think it will need a 4wt line to load better for any distance casting. I think I might need to go back tomorrow to fill a stringer of these gills for dinner.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Default forecast rods

Joe, beautiful rod! Could you tell me what guides and seat were used on this rod?

Thanks,

jman

Default Re: forecast rods

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman
    Joe, beautiful rod! Could you tell me what guides and seat were used on this rod?

Thanks,

jman
    jman,

I used a Pac Bay A7 Up-Lock reel seat in black with rosewood insert (PBRA8JB). The guides are traditional snake guide set in black (FRGS401). All components came from Hook & Hackle, and these are their part numbers. If you order the reel seat, be sure to match to a flush mount cork handle. If you get/have a handle with a mortised end, you'll need the A5 recessed reel seat. There are many choices in reel seats and inserts, so i would suggest ordering their catalog or viewing it online at http://www.hookhack.com/Rcat.PDF before simply choosing one. If you have questions about matching parts, call H&H and they will walk you through any questions.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe,
    We'll have to set up a time soon, & we'll get into some really nice sized Ohio pond gills & redear! Good "test run".
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread