+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dropperknots/performance

Using a 'stiffer' material for a dropper tippet, IF it come off of the bend of the first fly's hook, will help lessen tangles.

If you need a 'long' dropper, say 12 to 30 inches, then the most 'non fouling' system is to tie the dropper tippet to the bend of the hook, or to a dropper loop built into the leading fly. This keeps the whole set up 'in line' and helps with fouling.

Anytime you extend a length of tippet at an angle to the main line, and it originates from someplace other than the 'bitter end' of the tippet, you are creating an excentric that can lead to tangling by it's very nature.

Some of the more popular systems use a set up where you have, in effect, two separate sections of tippet, one shorter than the other, leading to the flies (the type of 'knot' used is unimporant). This type of 'V' system leads naturally to both lengths of tippet twisting together during the cast.

Other systems where the dropper is tied to the tippet, or extends from the tippet, at any place ABOVE the termainal fly, also are prone to the dropper line 'twisting around' or fouling the main line. Shorter droppers can atenuate this, as can using aerodymanic flies that won't osscillate or spin in the air.

There isn't a multifly system that won't foul. Some can foul more, others less. A lot of it has to do with the casting skills of the user, as things like wind knots and tailing loops are magnified by the presense of more lines and flies.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default the right X...

Quote Originally Posted by dudley
    Is the dropper the same diameter(X) as the tippet, or one size larger or smaller?
    The dropper(X)is heavier than the point(X)
    ... and roll casts are a good thing
    I'm never sure about this issue, because the diam.(X) should be appropiate to the 'hook size'. If I use two flies of different size, it gets confusing.
    EX. # 12 nymph(BH)....... 5X tippet
    # 16 emerger ........ 6X dropper
    * in this case the dropper is a smaller size hook, and putting a larger diam. ( 4X) on the emerger would be a problem!
    Yes..... No.... ???

Did I lose you?
    Tight Lines......
    John } aka: Quill gordon

While 4x may be a little much for a size 16, don't get too hung up on that fly size verses tippet size stuff.
    With sub-surface flys I always use as heavy a tippet as I can get away with.
    With "normal" sized flys I never go below 5x
    Flys in the 20s may need 6x, but never anything lighter
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Default Table...

I just found this table......
    http://www.flydealflies.com/hooktippet.html

I know I have trouble with the tippet turning over if the diam. is too small( BH nymph).
    So in this case, with a smaller emerger(dropper) and a larger nymph(end of tippet), the dropper diam. should be smaller in diameter.
    Does that sound correct!......
    Tight Lines......

Does that sound correct!......
    No
    When using droppers that come off the leader you want the dropper to be on heavier tippet than the point fly.
    The heavy tippet on the dropper fly helps to keep the dropper from fouling around the leader.
    When using a "truck and trailer" like Buddy and Joe B. describe, the "trailer" would be on a lighter tippet. The reasoning being that if you get the "trailer" stuck, you won't lose the whole rig.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Default Link.....

Buddy...
    Thank you for your response.

Duddley....
    Sorry, you lost me! .....
    Can you give me a link.
    I am trying to tye a dropper at the blood knot, which is about 3' above the end fly on the tippet! I tye my own leaders using maxima material.
    Thanks.
    Tight Lines......

This is as close as I could find with out taking all day
    http://www.flyfishersparadise.com/articles/wetfly2.html
    --- Horace Kephart

Default OK........

Thank you .
    Sometimes a link ( picture) is easier to understand than several paragraphs of words!

Best wishes....
    Tight Lines......

+ Reply to Thread