+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kayaking GPS units

Default Kayaking GPS units

Hello Everyone,

I am looking into purchasing a GPS, mostly for kayaking, and am not sure what to buy. I have a few basic things I would like on a GPS unit.

1) I would like to be able to see where I am at on the water.

2) I would like to be able to see how fast I am traveling

3)I would like to see the water depth

4) Compass

5) USB to connect to computer

6)I would like it to be water proof ( able to withstand waves)

Can anyone make a suggestion. I have been searching around the internet, and I am still confused

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Mike

I just picked up a Garmin Etrex Legend CX to do all those things. You need to buy charts or topo maps as well.

I suggest you price the GPS and the charts or maps deesired as the GPS units may be competitively priced but some of the charts and maps are not.

jed

Great question -
    A lot of the features you want are available on a lot of GPS units, but first let me say, I am biased. I have used Lowrance, Magellan and Garmin, and I prefer any Garmin product over 80% of GPS units out there. Depending on what you want to spend, you could go from around 150 dollars all the way up.
    The one tricky part is depth.
    Based on what you are saying, I would recommend the Garmin 60cs or 60csx.
    They both have digital compasses, they will offer trip computers to tell speed, and they will give you a top down view, though not necessarily all at the same time.
    To get depth information, you would have to get the Blue Chart software which utilizes depth soundings on the map display, but I think that would give you a good idea of how deep you are.
    The added benefit of the 60csx is a built in barometer which you could use to do some rudimentary weather forecasting too.
    Take a look at that, if the cost is steep, the 60 series do have some variability and you can definitely add or subtract what you want.
    -Erik

You might want to consider the Garmin 76S, too.
    [
    Both the 76S and 60CSX have built in barometers and both are water resistant.

With regards to water depth. I don't know of a handheld GPS unit that has a depth finder. The console units have depth finders, but you have to install a transducer on your kayak.

Unless you are kayaking along the coast or in the Great Lakes, the Blue Chart software won't do you any good. The software is great, but it's coverage area is limited to navagible waters. Rule of thumb - if you can't get a NOAA chart for where you want to fish/kayak, then the Blue Chart won't have the coverage either.

If you are going to invest in a GPS, I recommend you invest a little money and get a good quality unit. Garmin makes excellent products. Garmin units support the GPX format which allows you to post and share data via the internet.

Default Lowrance

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/M68CSMap.asp

I have an older unit (M56) with shoot thru thull transducer. I have used it in the everglades and keys in fla. to the lakes and rivers of NY. Great unit with all the toys for a fidget A$$.

It will run off bateries and I keep a spare sleeve steup when on the water. Battery life is very good.

Wouldn't be on the water without it. I have the Hobie quest fisherman.

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Thank you everyone for your quick responds. Your feedback has been great

Thanks
    Mike

Note that Garmin Bluechart is for ocean/bluewater. It doesn't have lakes except those larger ones like the great lakes or lake champlain. There is another product that has smaller lakes, but I can't remember its name.

jed

You can get all but water depth in the most basic handheld general purpose unit. I have several Garmin Etrex and can recomend them. If you want a sonar integrated, it's going to cost more/ get more complex. I personally preffer to keep these units seperated.

9. Default Re: Kayaking GPS units

I'm picking up an eTrex Venture Cx for canoe tripping, I had to weigh it against the GPSMAP 76Cx because model one floats. Definately a plus for being on the water (but it is a bit more $$$).

+ Reply to Thread