+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me outfit my 3 wt. Take 2!

Coupla questions

1- How large are the streams you fish?
    2- how dense is the cover around the stream?
    3- How spooky are the trout?

Softer rods ( such as the Orvis Superfines ) are probably better for small streams requiring SHORT casts with DELICATE presentation requirements.

Faster rods are better for more open spaces and can
    ( generally ) throw a bit tighter of a loop. Probably do better in some wind.

That being said, I have a 3wt 7'6" TFO Professional.
    I bought it just before the Finesse series was released. It's a nice rod, but DOES NOT load up well with only a few feet of flyline out of the tip.
    I think about 10' line plus leader starts loading it up acceptably. I use Rio Selective trout WF3F line on it.

For New Jersey,( and eastern PA ) with the small and tight brushy streams with low overhead canopy ... If I had a "do-over", I would probably opt for a short, very slow Orvis Superfine or the TFO Finesse because short casts are the norm - and that type of rod can load better with a only few feet of line plus the leader out of the rod tip. I beleive they are also able to present more delicately as well.

Now, I test cast about Q=8 of 3wt rods of many manufacturers and I picked the TFO based on a combinatoin of price and performance. I don't have a Cabela's within 100 miles but I visited local fly shops to test. I am of the understanding ( I do get the Cabela's catalog ) that the Cabela's rod is rated "fast". Something to consider based on my initial 3 questions.

~ Greg

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic
    I don't know about the 3wt, but I own the 7wt LST with the CSR reel (bought as a combo last August), and it casts like a broomstick. I use it for steelhead and love it.

Joe
    Now you've got me confused....is that good?...I know JC casts one [broomstick]...but

Joe, the last time you used...."swwwweeeeeet"...
    It's still "swwwweeeeet," and I love it (you missed the ending of my comment). I'm one of those people who likes a fast rod (But not fast women )

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I agree with the fellows above on the TFO finesse or Orvis superfine. I fish 2 TFO Pros in 6 wt. and 8 wt. a lot. Nice rods, very good value. I've also bought and sold 2 more in 3 wt. and 4 wt. They were just too stiff and fast. Especially if you're going for a rod under 8 ft. long. They didn't load well with their rated line weight unless you were casting a bunch of line ... so they didn't fish very well in that 20-25 ft. range that I often want in a small stream, light line rod. The stiffness also made it tough to enjoy a smaller/medium fish.

I thought they cast pretty well for distance but didn't fish that well.

If it were me, I'd go with a Finesse which has a beautiful medium action and loads much better with less line. The Superfines are great for that too.

I believe Cabelas still has a no question 100% satisfied guarantee and I would not overlook the Cabelas Drake reel if only on the 3 wt. I have one bought with the combo
    DuFf
    Don't Buy Fishing Crud

+ Reply to Thread