+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there an easy substitute for a net retractor

I'll put in my vote for a magnetic net release, too. I've used one for six years now and like it. If you don't use a lanyard to secure the net to your vest or wading belt, be sure the magnet is engaged before letting go. A buddy lost his net when he thought he had his magnet engaged, but didn't. Oops!

Karl

I've been debating how to carry my bogga grip when fishing the salt. The magnet may be the solution to two problems.

I've always used a net retractor with a french clip. I haven't checked the prices lately, but I doubt if they cost $20. I would think closer to $10.

OK now I went and looked it up. Look in the Hook & Hackle site, one of the sponsors here.

4. Default

One more vote for the Gear Keeper. Easy and simple!

You can get a magnetic net release without the bungie cord for 10 bucks. I bought one and added my own cord later using about 30 or 40 cents of bungie material I bought at a rock climbing store, a copper crimp you can get from the electrical section of the hardware store (you'd have to buy a box and need a crimping/wirestripping tool), and a lobster clasp off a cheap dog collar (about 60 cents) I bought at a surplus store. It might be difficult to find the same stuff and is probably not be worth it if you don't already have the crimping tool, but it cost me less than $12 bucks all together.

If you don't use a net, you don't need the retractor...

OR the net.

Just a thought.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I made do with a cheap retractor system for years. Then my kids got me a nice magnetic release for Christmas a couple of years ago. I love it and would not go back. It is well worth the $25.

Greg

This may go with saying. But just incase.
    Don't use a magnetic release on a net with a metalic frame.
    The magnet will stick to the net frame instead of finding other magnet when replacing.

I use a magnetic net thingy now ('cause it was given to me ... must be about 10-20 bucks).

I used to always use a key chain. The type that separates in to with a push to release thing. Stainless steel and costs about 10$ for 100.

PS. .. I also always atache the net hoop up ... handle down. Makes it easier to grab the handle and the netting doesn't hang down and get snagged on brush as often (I have a long traditional netting as netted fish don't get released).

I think a C&R net won't have this problem.
    Christopher Chin

I don't use a net very often but I usually carry one. I hook the handle cord to a clip on my wader belt and then stuff the net itself into the belt at my back. If and when I want to use it, it is an easy reach but is still hooked on in case of a slip. Also with the netbag tucked into the belt it almost never tangles in brush and it is well out of the way while fighting a fish and dosen't get filled with trash and weed floating in the stream. I can also always feel it in place in the belt.

+ Reply to Thread